CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

syzygy

25th September 2012, 07:50
Late shift, hence late post.
Looks interesting, & no proper names this time.
I'll give it a try tomorrow. There should be some responses by then. Have fun.

October puzzle:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/62858730/Harpers%202012-10.pdf

Official September solution:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/62858730/Harpers%202012-09%20sol.pdf
1 of 29  -   Report This Post

aristophanes

25th September 2012, 12:58
Thanks, Syzzie. It didn't take long, but it was satisfying. The usual story: some very nice clues. I do have one question mark, so will check with you later.
2 of 29  -   Report This Post

greedy kite

25th September 2012, 14:23
Will probably have a go much later, Syzygy, but thanks anyway!
P.S. Am a bit busy at the moment. Did you get my mail a few days ago?
3 of 29  -   Report This Post

syzygy

26th September 2012, 05:08
@GK I'm rather swamped too. Will try to respond shortly.

@Aristo You did better than I. Have 3 ?s.

Btw, there are 3 proper names. Must have been half asleep when I posted this.
4 of 29  -   Report This Post

greenfire

1st October 2012, 19:02
Hello all,

I've been doing the Times puzzles for a long time and a friend just introduced me to Harper's puzzles and I'm going nuts over them!

So I'm just eager to get some guidance in doing these and to get some help in how you put things together.

I think I have 13A, 15A, 37A, 17D, and 25D, but I am at a loss completely everywhere else because I don't know how to look at them just yet...any suggestions?
5 of 29  -   Report This Post

aristophanes

1st October 2012, 23:10
Hello, greenfire. Are you in the UK or the US? Harper's tends to have quite a few Americanisms. The rules are the same as those for British cryptics, and there's usually some sort of theme, often a structural one. Maltby's clues aren't especially difficult (and he doesn't rely on obscure words), but they're often brilliant. I think it's fair to say that this puzzle is moderately challenging but classy- and fun. It would help if you mentioned particular clues you're having trouble with.
6 of 29  -   Report This Post

les40

1st October 2012, 23:57
I need to get back on here more, completely missed this Harper's post. That's me staying up late again.
Back tomorrow chaps, goodnight.
7 of 29  -   Report This Post

ixion

2nd October 2012, 02:25
Enjoyed this one Syzygy, particularly a-f, though I needed the answers first to work out the hints!
8 of 29  -   Report This Post

greenfire

2nd October 2012, 04:44
I'm in the US, and well, like 36 across or 16 down...I get that some have obvious clues or answers are a an anagram of a single word. But these, like others, just have these phrases. And I know 16 down starts with a p, from 15 across, but I can't pull anything together that starts with a P!
9 of 29  -   Report This Post

greedy kite

2nd October 2012, 05:54
Hi, greenfire! I'm English, living in France, have been doing H. for a few years now. This month's I sent off some time ago, so difficult to remember all the answers, but 36a for instance is a straightforward definition (ignore the capital) + simple anagram:think Ireland!Have forgotten 16d unfortunately. The only thing a-f have in common is explained by the title! And in general I agree with Aristo: unlike some famous English puzzles they don't use incredibly recondite words, but are rewarding because of their ingenious play on words often! This one's relatively simple.If anything you have the advantage with Americanisms -- this time e.g. with 9,18 & 31 down. So keep at it: it's worth it!
10 of 29  -   Report This Post