CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

theambler

18th September 2012, 23:07
Look closely at WC, its only natural
31 of 52  -   Report This Post

mrw

19th September 2012, 00:21
The farmer's in the .... look and learn. (5,5)
32 of 52  -   Report This Post

mrw

19th September 2012, 00:26
The batsman looks intently before taking his stance. (5,5)
33 of 52  -   Report This Post

ixion

19th September 2012, 14:08
Les40...over 50,sexually active male, pants provided(on backwards)...further research required(5,5)
34 of 52  -   Report This Post

phillip

19th September 2012, 16:19
WC's dubious duty is without class.
35 of 52  -   Report This Post

aristophanes

19th September 2012, 18:24
This gets harder and harder; all of you are amazing. Where to begin? There’s Bullfrog’s use of “mis-filed” and “boss” in Post 5, ixion’s superb “alien life first discovered” in 13 (not to mention his sexually active male with pants on backwards in 34), AB’s true gem, “Neighborhood Watch?”, in 19 (Do you have a Brancusi collection by any chance, AB?), and phillip’s inspired “is without class” in 35. But though I usually like a bit more misdirection in the definition (like Bullfrog’s “open air gig” in his excellent clue at 30) I’m going with greedy kite’s charming Spoonerism (steeled fuddy!) at 15: “Spooner’s hardened stuffy half makes investigations outside the lab”. I liked “stuffy half” (fuddy-duddy can indeed be an adjective) and the subtle misdirection “makes” gives, along with that given by the plural “investigations”, which is perfectly fair in this case.

Regarding your prize, greedy kite: This isn’t as much an observation of free-living subjects in the field as it is of subjects around one. The clip is of a pre-football-game ritual at a Midwestern university. The stadium there seats 80,000+ and has been sold out for the past several hundred games, and when the team played in Dublin a couple of weeks ago (against Navy) 35,000 (!) Americans crossed the Atlantic to watch them throw a pigskin around for a couple of hours- and by American standards this is a very small university! Note, however, that not all football fans exhibit this autumnal flocking and migratory behavior; in fact a far greater number (yours truly among them) watch the proceedings in upholstered comfort, surrounded by snacks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBedPq96kr8
36 of 52  -   Report This Post

francis

19th September 2012, 18:47
well done bullfrog
37 of 52  -   Report This Post

francis

19th September 2012, 18:50
Oh dear !
Apologies bullfrog, congrats greedy kite !
38 of 52  -   Report This Post

chrise

19th September 2012, 18:55
Well done, GK, and I don't envy you your choice, aristo - great set of clues!
39 of 52  -   Report This Post

ixion

19th September 2012, 19:30
Congratulations GK
40 of 52  -   Report This Post