CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

karl

5th September 2012, 14:28
Hi all, and thanks. I found this forum while looking for any clue on 1a. I've made such moon offerings myself in the past and think I should have got that without help. 7 years in Luxembourg and a total lack of British TV and I'm having to think harder for the likes of the Trance outfit and the show, but maybe just because I was never really a fan of either of them (or of Tony Bleurgh).

I'm almost done, except for 18d and 20a which I just can't get my head around.

Except that between starting this post and getting to this point where I was about to ask for clues, I realised that the handcuffs aren't really necessary other than to point me in the right direction for the 80s hooker. And I used the solver here to figure out the new word I've just learned for 20a.

To sum up, this was easier than last month's Genius but good fun. Maybe see you next month!
81 of 97  -   Report This Post

ixion

5th September 2012, 14:35
Karl, in a previous life this Hooker was a Captain...
82 of 97  -   Report This Post

karl

5th September 2012, 14:52
Thanks Ixion, I got it. The captain was one of my favourite hookers as a young 'un. Possibly the only favourite, as my regularly love bitten English teacher was probably just young and promiscuous, despite all the rumours in the playground.
83 of 97  -   Report This Post

mrs trellis

5th September 2012, 20:04
Welcome to the forum karl. dizoz, how you getting on = finished yet?
84 of 97  -   Report This Post

dizoz

6th September 2012, 02:08
hi mrs trellis and james,
yes. finished (at last). got 21a using chambers word wizard (not in my (now redundant) word finder :-)) . Ta for reference.
85 of 97  -   Report This Post

angst

6th September 2012, 07:18
Hello everybody. I am almost there but for some reason cannot get anywhere with 22 down. I have the 1st, 3rd and 5th letters and am pretty sure they are all correct. Can anyone give me a clue (other than that already provided by Enigmatist...). Thank you.

86 of 97  -   Report This Post

sudokulover

6th September 2012, 08:02
Think of lesser known celebs in general
87 of 97  -   Report This Post

angst

6th September 2012, 08:51
Thanks sudokulover. I actually got it before reading your reply but still did not know why it was correct until your explanation. I would, however, make two comments on this clue. First, the way this grid works, for this clue it does not matter whether you are in the first or second category of the solution - the answer to be inserted after modification is the same either way. Secondly, I am not sure that the answer when merged really is a synonym for "spot". If it is not meant to be, then I don't know how to parse the clue... Thanks again.
88 of 97  -   Report This Post

sudokulover

6th September 2012, 10:07
with a "B" in front it's listed in my red Bradfords dictionary as a synonym for spot
89 of 97  -   Report This Post

angst

6th September 2012, 10:10
Fair enough then. At least I was on the right track... Thanks.
90 of 97  -   Report This Post