CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

neilm

29th August 2012, 16:10
No it doesn't!
21 of 29  -   Report This Post

andyc

29th August 2012, 16:15
The on side of the field is the side on which the batsman stands that will change according to whether he/she is left or right handed.
22 of 29  -   Report This Post

paul

29th August 2012, 16:16
rule sounds bats to me
23 of 29  -   Report This Post

chrise

29th August 2012, 16:19
It will change between left and right as the bowler looks down the pitch, depending on whether the batsman is left or right handed but the on or leg side is always the side of the batsman's legs.

Some of the laws (particlularly LBW) are not the same for off side and leg side. It can cause a lot of problems when a batsman decides to bat the other way round as the bowler bowls - Pieterson did this against Sri Lanka.
24 of 29  -   Report This Post

phillip

29th August 2012, 16:45
From the point of view of a right-handed batsman facing the bowler, the right hand side of the cricket field is the off side(being to the bowler's left). With a left-handed batsman the off side is to the batter's left.
slips are positioned on the (batsman's) offside. watch them cross over every time the left handed bat is facing the bowling. i.e. the on side and off side are not fixed.
25 of 29  -   Report This Post

chrise

29th August 2012, 16:47
But phillip, if the batsman is in his stance, the left hand side of the field is towards the bowler, right hand side of the field is towards the wicket keeper!
26 of 29  -   Report This Post

phillip

29th August 2012, 16:57
chrisE, in the normal world that would be true. but sport in general and cricket in particular pay no heed to common sense. the side the slips are on is the off side and the other side is leg. i.e. in front of and behind the batsman if you like. this is always the case whether the batsman is left or right handed.
27 of 29  -   Report This Post

chrise

29th August 2012, 17:07
Yes indeed, phillip - just teasing!
28 of 29  -   Report This Post

phillip

29th August 2012, 17:17
ChrisE, I know. now about when the batsman changes his stance halfway through the bowler's run up.................. er, let's leave that one shall we.
29 of 29  -   Report This Post