CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

poppy

26th November 2008, 14:51
Can anyone let me know if there are any UK onine cryptic crossword sites - have found plenty that are "how to solve cryptics" but now need some practice. Also need info about crossword referece lists. Thanks
1 of 9  -   Report This Post

royston bowden

26th November 2008, 14:57
Poppy,

In Smiths and other bookshops you can find Big books of cryptics from the DT and Times (with the answers in the back too!). Bloomsbury do a nice (xmas presi?) collection of lists, anagram finder etc in a boxed set. No doubt others will give more advice but the beauty of the books is you tave them and a biro anywhere, no PC needed!

Royston
2 of 9  -   Report This Post

jerry smith

26th November 2008, 15:19
Further to Royston's comments and recommendations
Chambers Crossword Completer is ver useful for
a novice,and Chambers Dictionary is a must in
my opinion (for what that is worth!)
All good luck,
Jerry
3 of 9  -   Report This Post

royston bowden

26th November 2008, 15:28
Poppy,

Jerry mentions the Chambers (Complete and unabridged) and I agree it is invaluable. Mine is less than a year old and already falling to bits!

Regards

Royston
4 of 9  -   Report This Post

brian

26th November 2008, 17:19
hi Poppy,
try the site below, it gives you links to a whole load of puzzle sites:

http://www.crossword-puzzles.co.uk/
5 of 9  -   Report This Post

boaz

26th November 2008, 21:09
My own site ( www.Cryptics.co.uk ) has free interactive and printable crosswords, a forum to discuss all things crossword related, a daily solving guide for the Telegraph cryptic and a links page to other crossword sites.
6 of 9  -   Report This Post

andy s

26th November 2008, 21:38
Boaz's daily explanations for the Telegraph crossowrd are excellent, especially for beginners and improvers.
7 of 9  -   Report This Post

xfan

27th November 2008, 09:50
I agree with Royston. The Big Books are terrific value, and although they don't explain answers you can always visit the forum for help. I prefer pen and paper to online; my Big Books have travelled the world! I find the Telegraph to be more purely cryptic: the Times' literary and Latin references leave me cold.
8 of 9  -   Report This Post

poppy

27th November 2008, 10:02
Thanks everyone for your advice. I will get cracking today. No doubt I will be back for help with solving the clues.
9 of 9  -   Report This Post