CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

smudgy13

5th August 2012, 13:50
ME again one more to get 87a wooden skirting board (4) d??e. I know that i know what it is but just not having any joy driving me nuts ! .
1 of 15  -   Report This Post

morag

5th August 2012, 13:53
I have put dado
2 of 15  -   Report This Post

smudgy13

5th August 2012, 13:57
Thanks morag you are right i had spelt 78d wrong i should have checked as i never been great at spelling !.
3 of 15  -   Report This Post

drumbeat

5th August 2012, 16:16
I've put 'Dado' for 87 across as well. This is obviously the answer required but the clue is totally misleading! A Dado rail is NOT a wooden skirting board....it's a rail halfway up a wall, dividing the wall in two thereby enabling two different, contrasting wallpaper patterns to be pasted up. Possibly English is not the Hobbit compiler's first language!!
I should add that this isn't an attack on Hobbits in general....just this particular one:o)
4 of 15  -   Report This Post

smudgy13

5th August 2012, 19:30
Aye drumbeat dado confused me to as even here in scotland that is a rail halfway up a wall , mind you some if these clues are driving us up the wall ! maybe not hobbits but strange creature from another world still trying to grasp english ! .Good luck again
5 of 15  -   Report This Post

ab

5th August 2012, 19:35
Chambers gives dado as "the lower part of the wall of a room when decorated differently from the upper part, often consisting of panelling", so it could be kosher?
6 of 15  -   Report This Post

smudgy13

5th August 2012, 19:39
Aye ab it the only thing it could be even though i think of skirting board as at bottom of the wall to the floor ,some of these clues defo sent to try us i think.
7 of 15  -   Report This Post

drumbeat

6th August 2012, 09:58
Hi Smudgy,
I'm from Scotland as well...Dunfermline!! where are you from?
8 of 15  -   Report This Post

andy from the 'well watp

6th August 2012, 11:22
Hi Drumbeat - as you can no doubt work out I am from Motherwell. East is east but the west is the best. Cheers.
9 of 15  -   Report This Post

smudgy13

6th August 2012, 11:59
HI drumbeat i am from aberdeenshire .
10 of 15  -   Report This Post