CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

jamoza

1st August 2012, 22:00
Well done, sir, I loved your clue and am sure that you will be Clueless many more times in the future.....
51 of 61  -   Report This Post

theambler

1st August 2012, 23:45
Congratulations to Magpie
However I hate to spoil anything but
A Zealot is not a demagogue and nor is a demagogue a zealot
Further an anagrind is needed to indicate an anagram
And Finally
The inclosure of the reversed GAME should be indicated.
From the clue the answer should be explicitly contrived.
Will happily acknowledge opposite views within the limits and procedures of cryptic clueing
Yours in Peace and friendship
THEA
52 of 61  -   Report This Post

malone

1st August 2012, 23:52
THEA, thanks - I've been puzzling over this for a while, wondering how zealot equals demagogue.
53 of 61  -   Report This Post

ixion

2nd August 2012, 01:06
Hi Thea

I will(as invited)take issue with you.

Agreed that demagogue and zealot aren't interchangeable in all circumstances, but they are synonymous in the sense of "rabble-rouser" etc.
Magpie may correct me if I'm mistaken but I took "over" to be the anagrind for "use god game".
The clue was economical and had an interesting surface reading(which is often what attracts me to a clue) and most importantly was fair and "gettable".
54 of 61  -   Report This Post

magpie

2nd August 2012, 03:30
Thank you Ixion for your kind defense, you hit the nail on the head with your description of my intention. You can't please all the people! Personally I am not a big fan of long winded contrived clues. AB's 18 was inspired. For me the best clues have punch and don't waffle, but then I'm new at all this and still learning so I will take Thea's kind words in the spirit I'm sure they were intended.

P.s. still don't know what to do next week.
55 of 61  -   Report This Post

trevor

2nd August 2012, 04:03
Magpie,
some nice spin going on there, after all, who would admit to being a fan of "long winded contrived clues" or ones that "waffle" - are you a politician?
i should add that i thought your clue was v good.

re next week,just copy/paste the start of this thread into a new thread, Mutatis mutandis (been dying to use that phrase).
most virtual prizes are from youtube, normally either pertinent or just funny, but anything goes.
looking 4ward.
56 of 61  -   Report This Post

paul

2nd August 2012, 09:00
Well done Magpie! I have to agree about AB - he really is the master of the concise gems!
57 of 61  -   Report This Post

phillip

2nd August 2012, 10:25
I've already congratulated magpie so this isn't aimed at him.

am I alone in thinking that with a great many clueless entries if the the answer was not already known they couldn't/wouldn't be solved.
58 of 61  -   Report This Post

bullfrog

2nd August 2012, 10:49
You're not alone...
59 of 61  -   Report This Post

rosalind

2nd August 2012, 11:45
No, you're not alone.
On Peer Review I don't vote for a clue if, having already got the answer and thought about it, I don't understand it.
Not getting at magpie, either. Well done.

Sorry, haven't entered Clueless for a couple of weeks, but feeling much better now.
60 of 61  -   Report This Post