CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

boomer

16th July 2012, 21:20
Thanks, I was confusing 12 with 14 and wondering about bolster and billet. I don't always see to good with my contacts. I blame these damn energy saving bulbs. We will all go blind. Do you think they ration the tee-shirts? No matter how many correct solutions I put in there is alwats a large gap between wins.
21 of 29  -   Report This Post

al_issner

16th July 2012, 21:32
Boomer, you mean you've had winS???? Just one would be nice!!!!
22 of 29  -   Report This Post

boomer

16th July 2012, 21:58
I have one different style tee shirt from years ago and only three of the newer ones and with one I got a book.I have tried lots.ie change colour and shape of envelopes and stamps to make it more appealing to be picked out of the sack but there seems to be a time lapse between wins.
23 of 29  -   Report This Post

al_issner

16th July 2012, 22:31
Interesting tactics, Boomer.
I must admit that I've started to wonder why newspapers don't run articles on how they select crossword winners!
24 of 29  -   Report This Post

mildred

16th July 2012, 23:19
It is interesting to note that entries are submitted to the Marketing Department of The Herald. Is this why winners frequently come from remote parts of Scotland? Perhaps the circulation figures play a part in the "selection" of winners!
25 of 29  -   Report This Post

al_issner

17th July 2012, 01:10
Mildred! Such cynicism!!
26 of 29  -   Report This Post

mildred

17th July 2012, 07:27
My cynicism may be justified. The Herald's sister paper The Evening Times had a Spot the Ball competition. A friend who worked on the paper told me that on one occasion the winner had been declared when someone on the staff noticed that the winner's postcode was the same as that of the previous week's winner.A new winner was duly selected!
27 of 29  -   Report This Post

boomer

17th July 2012, 17:31
Oddly enough your comments make me think. I recently filled in a rare for me Guardian at work in Edinburgh and posted it there. Immediately I won the two books. I would think there are as many Guardian readers in Edinburgh as say Finsbury Park or Bristol. Did sales go in Edinburgh?
28 of 29  -   Report This Post

boomer

17th July 2012, 17:43
Sorry folks falacious logic. The post mark was Edinburgh but I gave my Borders address and Borders folk are not known to be Guardian readers. Perhaps they saw a new opening!
29 of 29  -   Report This Post