CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

eccles45

15th July 2012, 22:55
Tried it for the first time last Sunday - scream. Second time today - got one more than last week - more screams.

Now I've been tackling cryptic crosswords for five decades, I complete most Guardian and Times, but these Mephistos ... !!!

Is it just me ?
1 of 18  -   Report This Post

rossim

15th July 2012, 23:15
It is supposed to be more difficult than the average cryptic!
I notice there is a blog 'Times of the times' that explains the answers. If you are determined to crack them it is worth working through those.
For me - Life's too short!
2 of 18  -   Report This Post

eccles45

15th July 2012, 23:26
Thanks for your reply, Rossim.

I only know of the blog 'Times for the Times' and I loathe it as it seems to be full of folk who reckon how quick they solve a puzzle outweighs the enjoyment of the struggle.

Sorry - that's just this aged crone having a moan :-(

As long as Mephisto is meant to be harder, I will persevere for a few more weeks.
3 of 18  -   Report This Post

les40

16th July 2012, 00:20
Hiya eccles,

I feel the main challenge with the Mephisto is that, not only are most of the answers quite rare or obscure answers, but the cryptic make up of the wordplay usually plays with very rare smaller words and you find yourself guessing at what may fit in and then when discovering that a word exists, you seem to have to work backwards through it to try and identify the sections individually. My dad won the Mephisto about 20 years ago, and I remember him staying up all night to complete it. I had a stint of attempting it and sometimes finishing it about 12 years ago when I used to work nights and the job had plenty of 'sitting about time' , but had to make sure I had about 20 to 40 hours spare to dredge through the Chambers looking for pointers and rare word meanings.
However, The sense of achievement when you complete a Mephisto is second to none.

I'm not sure if he still does it, but the compiler, Tim Moorhey, does hold crossword seminars where you can pay a fee and go and listen to him talk about his crosswording (and maybe learn something new)

Keep at it if you have the time mate, as you will learn some really obscure words.

A good idea for anyone who hasn't attempted a Mephisto, is buy the Sunday Times and then buy the next one with the solution. Then look through the answers and see if you can actually identify his wordplay.

Hope that helps
4 of 18  -   Report This Post

djawhufc

16th July 2012, 09:03
Hi Eccles

I started doing Mephisto and Azed about 18months ago. In that time I have been fortunate to win them both on a couple of occasions.

My tip is buy the Chambers Crossword dictionary and/or Bradfords crossword solver. These enable you to check the obscure words when you think you have parsed the clue.

Good luck

DJA

5 of 18  -   Report This Post

ajt1

16th July 2012, 09:13
Hello Eccles - Don't despair of the mephisto. I've been doing it for over 30 years now, and hate a week going by when I haven't finished it. I've won quite a few times - luck of the draw, of course.

There are three or four setters for it, and one of them in particular is rather obscure.

As you've already been told, Chambers dictionary is an absolute essential. If you don't know it already try "Chambers word wizards" - a website. A great help if you have just a few letters.

Don't give up - you'll learn some lovely words, albeit not in general use.
6 of 18  -   Report This Post

film fan

16th July 2012, 09:52
I also found it formidable to start with. However after a few weeks I got into the swing of it. Both this forum and the Answer Bank site are available for people to ask for answers and,as the others have said, a Chambers is a necessity. God knows where they get these obscure words from - I imagine the compilers would be banned from doing 'Countdown'.
7 of 18  -   Report This Post

eccles45

16th July 2012, 12:21
Thanks to everyone who replied.

My Chambers crossword dictionary is well thumbed - I got 2 of this weeks answers from it. I'm taking on board all of your advice, and will have a look at Azed.

Thanks again.
8 of 18  -   Report This Post

susan

19th July 2012, 22:35
Hi, just saw this thread and wanted to say how much I like Les40's comments. What a cheery, generous reply. I've seen some negative posts recently, with people boasting and sniping and it's heartening to see a positive attitude. Can't say I've ever done a Mephisto. It's enough for me to plod through the Times Jumbo Cryptic, which I really enjoy. It's Thursday and I've still got six clues to do before I finish!! It's nearly Saturday! Not to worry. Well done with your megabrainy puzzles and thanks for posting nice comments.
9 of 18  -   Report This Post

pastille

19th July 2012, 23:05
Hi eccles45...

Just to let you know the Bradfords can be bought cheaply on the book people website....and The Works are selling Chambers for a mere £9.99... Have bought them both and as djw says they are invaluable.

Enjoy
10 of 18  -   Report This Post