CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

eccles45

20th July 2012, 10:19
pastille, I feel a total idiot.

When "Bradford" was first mentioned, it rang a bell. On Tuesday I got round to opening a parcel from "The Book People"- result of taking up a special offer - which had been sat on the floor for yonks.

There were 2 Bradford's and 4 of the Flavell dictionary series; all for the princely sum of £13.

My face was as red as a United shirt :-)

I tackled both Mephisto and Azed this week (see thread Mephisto 2707/Azed 2093) and quickly realised how essential the Bradford's were. Think of all the fun I will have with the Mephisto archive.

Thanks to one and all.
11 of 18  -   Report This Post

gok wan acolytes

22nd July 2012, 15:59
I have to admit, Bradfords was totally off the radar for me. The Book People are charging £15.19 for it at the moment, but I've just bought a copy in The Works for £4.99.

At first glance I don't think its going to have the special place in my crossword heart that Ann Stibbs' Crossword Solver has, but it may be a useful addition to my collection.
12 of 18  -   Report This Post

pastille

22nd July 2012, 16:22
Hi all,
Glad you found your Bradfords! Sounds slightly painfully doesnt it...

@ gok wan fan...I think I have created a link for the crossword solver edition...really have found these usefully I assume they may be a different editions.

Take care...

http://www.thebookpeople.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/qs_product_tbp?storeId=10001&catalogId=10051&langId=100&productId=200707
13 of 18  -   Report This Post

pastille

22nd July 2012, 16:24
Sorry not fan....acolytes...

Love a bit of gok myself ; )
14 of 18  -   Report This Post

gok wan acolytes

22nd July 2012, 16:34
Hmm.. the £15.19 price must be because its a hardback.

This a link to the Gok Wan reference.. .enjoy (or not,maybe)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SH66IB64UBA

GWA... Dot Dash Dot Dash as was.

15 of 18  -   Report This Post

nikki

22nd July 2012, 17:48
I have been doing Mephistos and Azeds for about the past 10 years. It still takes me a few hours, usually, to complete a Mephisto, and a couple of hours for an Azed (apart from a Christmas or Easter 'special' Azed, which are REALLY hard and I lose nights of sleep over!!! e.g. last Xmas's one required an understanding of the 'Playfair' Enigma code).
Wish I could get a 'commended' in the clue-writing tie-breaker which is sometimes required for the Azed.
But I have won prizes twice in both over the past years - the odds of winning must be much higher than in other cryptics.
But winning a few prizes in no way covers the cost of the postage for all the cryptic crossword grids I send in!!
16 of 18  -   Report This Post

pastille

22nd July 2012, 17:49
Loved it..dot dash dot dash as was...

Wondered where you been...just found out my hubby Is a half man half biscuit fan.

See you around...
17 of 18  -   Report This Post

maisiep

22nd July 2012, 19:19
Hi Eccles45. I agree with the advice given to sit with a set of answers and look back at that puzzle. I started doing the Mephisto over 20 years ago and have been lucky enough to have had a few wins. In the early days I thought I was doing well if I got one or two answers each week but I think if you stick with it you do get into the way of it although each setter is different. You can always use this site to get some help to get started and who knows where that will lead to! All the best.
18 of 18  -   Report This Post