CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

johnh

8th July 2012, 10:25
I cannot work out 12 across or 9 down.
Looks like the theme is heraldry - if someone can give a hint.
1 of 32  -   Report This Post

dunderheid

8th July 2012, 10:45
Give us the clue John
2 of 32  -   Report This Post

johnh

8th July 2012, 11:00
They are two unclued entries!
12A is ?ER?A?T?R?

9D is ???D?N?S?E?

Both answers will consist of two words.

9D contain Woodbine???

All help gratefully received.
3 of 32  -   Report This Post

chips

8th July 2012, 11:01
Per Saltire
Bend Sinister
4 of 32  -   Report This Post

peterm

8th July 2012, 12:57
I’d be interested to know what others make of 3dn. There are only 2 unchecked letters. Brewer’s gives the word in combination with 19dn, with the first unchecked letter as E. I can’t find this by googling, but there is a word with C which fits the theme. So it looks to me as though the spelling in Brewer’s is incorrect. Is the first unchecked letter E or C?
5 of 32  -   Report This Post

johnh

8th July 2012, 13:59
Many thanks, Chips. I've just returned to the site.
6 of 32  -   Report This Post

blignop

8th July 2012, 15:32
The unclued 19D is giving me some gyp. Would the third letter be "p"? My other thought is "v" but neither fit very well, except that D for Down might be considered furry. Went to the library for Brewers but it must have been an old edition. Help for closure on this most welcome...
7 of 32  -   Report This Post

peterm

8th July 2012, 16:55
I think it can only be P.
8 of 32  -   Report This Post

syzygy

9th July 2012, 02:51
@peterm

My Brewer doesn't have it either, & the root in a different context, but in Chambers:

tiercé /tērˈsi/ adjective (Fr, divided into three parts; heraldry)
(of the surface of a shield) divided into three equal parts, each of a different metal or colour (also tierced)
9 of 32  -   Report This Post

peterm

9th July 2012, 18:31
Thanks syz. My Brewer's has "tiereed in pair". That's my point - it doesn't seem to exist outside of Brewer's (which is the reference work for the puzzle). "Tierced", yes, but not "tiereed". I'm going with tierced.
10 of 32  -   Report This Post