CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

johnh

9th July 2012, 22:38
And thanks peterm. I went this afternoon to local main library to find that they don't have any editions of Brewer. One is to be found in a small branch which is not open today, so your post has saved me a further trip.
11 of 32  -   Report This Post

turast

10th July 2012, 01:05
3 Down

The only work of reference mentioned in the preamble is Brewer's, where 23 "ordinaries" are "represented" on Page 636 of the 18th Edition. All of the unclued entries are pictured. IMHO 3 Down has to be tierEed, as this is the heading for the shield depicted in row 5 column 4. I'm going with that spelling.
12 of 32  -   Report This Post

syzygy

10th July 2012, 05:32
Which Brewer is being referenced (Phrase & Fable)?
Mine has no pictures & the page numbers don't match.

13 of 32  -   Report This Post

greedy kite

10th July 2012, 06:22
Drat it! Turast is right. 18th Edition. I managed to misread the one letter, probabably expecting a C, which makes a French word used in betting! Just goes to show! No win once again! Drat it!
14 of 32  -   Report This Post

syzygy

10th July 2012, 07:02
This is an old trick of Doc's, using a different letter to give an totally obscure answer when something else makes as much sense & actually shows up in a search.

Still no idea which Brewer is referred to.
For those that have it, I'd like to see scan of that page.

I'm not impressed.
15 of 32  -   Report This Post

peterm

10th July 2012, 09:16
Brewer's Dictionary of Phrase & Fable, 18th Edition. Page 636 comprises illustrations of "basic shield divisions", one of which is labelled "Tiereed in Pair".
16 of 32  -   Report This Post

turast

10th July 2012, 12:29
It could be a misprint in Brewer's of course! If anybody knows how to get in touch with Doc, perhaps they could obtain some clarification. It'll be interesting to see the solution eventually. I think they should allow both TIERCED and TIEREED.
17 of 32  -   Report This Post

greedy kite

10th July 2012, 12:52
I'm beginning to think it really IS a misprint in Brewer's, which wd mean I don't need to send a "corrected" version in (quite apart from the fact that that's not quite allowed).Will try to find out how to mail s'one responsible.............
18 of 32  -   Report This Post

greedy kite

10th July 2012, 12:52
I'm beginning to think it really IS a misprint in Brewer's, which wd mean I don't need to send a "corrected" version in (quite apart from the fact that that's not quite allowed).Will try to find out how to mail s'one responsible.............
19 of 32  -   Report This Post

peterm

10th July 2012, 13:02
I think it's a misprint too. Be interesting to see what the outcome is.
20 of 32  -   Report This Post