CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

rosalind

11th April 2012, 23:42
Oxfordshire, where red kites have been reintroduced and I have seen 8 at once.
71 of 93  -   Report This Post

les40

11th April 2012, 23:45
Thanks Rosalind, yeh I want it over with now, but I must wait for my appointment, hope I don't have to wait for ages again, the consultant said it shouldn't be as long this time.

Oh, so you have seen it aristo, what did you think? If you liked it, another film springs to mind that you may find a few chuckles watching, and that is "Rita, Sue and Bob too" It's an 80's movie set in a similar genre around Yorkshire.

And, can't believe this! I only twigged about 2 months ago that 'Rita' played by Siobhan Finneran, is Janice in the hit British TV comedy "Benidorm" (hope someone else hadn't realised that too)
72 of 93  -   Report This Post

tonyw

11th April 2012, 23:53
I think you are lucky but I can understand your point.Re-introduction can cause problems and a balance has to be kept.I do not think that humans should put out meat etc. for raptors but I agree that having a few feeders for the small finches and tits during a hard winter is good.
I hope you do not think that I am some Eco nutter(I do shoot birds) and love nature.
73 of 93  -   Report This Post

aristophanes

11th April 2012, 23:56
Les: It brought back memories of The Dreaded Gym Class.
74 of 93  -   Report This Post

tonyw

11th April 2012, 23:57
Les40 ,re rita,sue and Bob, I hope you are not the Bob type!! Brilliant film though.
75 of 93  -   Report This Post

rosalind

11th April 2012, 23:58
Don't think you're any kind of nutter, tony, except maybe tramping 16 miles in one day, which is only envy.
I bought a small wood exactly a year ago to have a place for wildlife. But I am getting to dislike deer.......
People who live near where the kites were introduced say they terrorise their bird tables.
76 of 93  -   Report This Post

les40

12th April 2012, 00:04
Certainly not tony, but I'm sure I bought my first car off him in 1988.

Rosalind, re. bought a small wood.

That statement sounds so 'matter of fact' from you, the only wood I can stretch to is a small box of matches. However, things will be different when I qualify (I hope)
77 of 93  -   Report This Post

tonyw

12th April 2012, 00:06
I would love to go to your wood.I know Oxfordshire pretty well.I expect that the deer you are talking about are Muntjac;they can cause a lot of problems in woodland and are breeding like bunnies.We do cull them for the farmers because they cause so much damage.They taste wonderful BTW.
78 of 93  -   Report This Post

phillip

12th April 2012, 00:08
Rosalind, if you're a kestrel fan this might interest you.

as you probably know kestrels live largely on voles which they hunt in the daytime. but voles are themselves largely nocturnal. so what's actually going on. the voles sleep most of the day but every so often go out and spray their runs in the grass/bank whatever to mark their territory. to the kestrel the urine has some sort of day-glow phlorescence that it can clearly see. so while the vole is relieving itself the kestrel knows exactly where it is and bingo, vole in the hole for lunch. well I thought that was interesting.
79 of 93  -   Report This Post

les40

12th April 2012, 00:12
Phillip, Am I right in thinking voles live near water, I remember when I was a kid living near a wide expanse of farmland, we always saw voles round and about the irrigation ditches
80 of 93  -   Report This Post