CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

syzygy

8th April 2012, 04:41
In case Easter dinners get tedious, & uncle H_ launches into his usual repertoire of corny jokes, perhaps you can retire to a quiet corner with this:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/62858730/Harpers%202011-04%20puz.pdf

Enjoy.
1 of 14  -   Report This Post

greedy kite

8th April 2012, 08:26
Thanks once again, Syzygy: now have 3 cryptics to finish simultaneously today! Not that it's boring here (no family), but unusually windy & rainy & cold, so just the WRITE thing! I trust you won't get bored, either! So long!
2 of 14  -   Report This Post

greedy kite

8th April 2012, 09:14
One question, Syzygy:there are several longer spaces in the grid with no clue---are they words,or amI to suppose they are just random series of letters? I can't imagine that! Strange......................
3 of 14  -   Report This Post

syzygy

9th April 2012, 08:30
Appears you have it worked out.

I counted the spaces for unclued 4-letter words & there are 24 of them. Some are not numbered at all; some have a number but it only goes one way: A or D, not both.

Yes, as you said, the longer ones with 8 or 12 spaces are like "sausage links". The 4-letter words combine to form a real longer word.

Glad this one is more of a challenge.
4 of 14  -   Report This Post

syzygy

9th April 2012, 08:47
Nothing from Aristo.

Either he's stuffed with ham, turkey, & yams, or he's busy contacting his underworld friends. (-;

5 of 14  -   Report This Post

greedy kite

9th April 2012, 08:53
Thank you for confirmation, Sz! Sorry I pestered you on s'thing that was actually work-out-able!No doubt the effect of my favourite red!Just one other query you can answer privately: how come the proper e-mail address you gave me didn't work this time ("please correct the address"!)so I had to use the one you don't often look at? I always thought computers were perfectly REASONABLE, but mine keeps doing things I can't explain!
Anyway now for a conentrated attack on Harpers (after local jumble sale -- the source of many an incredible bargain in the past). I wonder how Aristo is getting on with the puzzle -- that is, when he's eventually free of other burdens...See you for the solution some day in the near future, I hope. So long for now, and thank you again! "Gled" (as he christened me).
6 of 14  -   Report This Post

syzygy

9th April 2012, 09:19
Sent a message from the non-commercial address at 10:00 your time. No bounce, so it should gone through.

7 of 14  -   Report This Post

syzygy

9th April 2012, 09:29
Chambers:

glede /glēd/ or gled /gled/ (Bible; now Scot or N Eng)
noun
The common kite
ORIGIN: OE glida, from glīdan to glide

8 of 14  -   Report This Post

greedy kite

9th April 2012, 16:27
Yes, Sz., my new nickname's OK! But i have another serious problem for you I've sent off to your given private address (which worked today, tho' identical to y'day's -- wonders will never cease). Can't progress till that is solved. Look forward to hearing from you and/or Bill.
9 of 14  -   Report This Post

syzygy

9th April 2012, 23:21
Hope that went through.

Where's Aristo?
10 of 14  -   Report This Post