CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

maisiep

28th February 2012, 19:44
Mrs Trellis that's an interesting point as my brother and I often phone to help one another with crosswords and I wouldn't hesitate to send one in once completed so is that any different from asking on here? I'm not sure that it is.
31 of 36  -   Report This Post

wendy

28th February 2012, 21:38
Whether it's asking Google or even just the dictionary, when one is totally stuck I don't see a problem. If I'm positive that something is an anagram I will happily use this site:

http://www.chambersharrap.co.uk/chambers/puzzles/word_wizards/wwizards.py/main

and when I get the answer I reckon it's fair game.

I never send mine in but wouldn't hesitate if I thought I may get a prize. Someone I know has a whole drawer full of FT pens, beast that he is!!

I think it's good and healthy to seek help as this is the best way for us to learn - especially when one has never even heard of the solution in the first place, which happens to me fairly regularly.
32 of 36  -   Report This Post

rosalind

28th February 2012, 21:42
I don't send mine in anyway, but I wouldn't hesitate because I'd asked for help with a couple of clues. Plus you might have picked up several answers from the questions others asked.
My grandfather sent in a correctly completed crossword to the Times every week for decades (I wonder for how long they've been giving prizes. He was nearly 90 when he died in 1959)
33 of 36  -   Report This Post

phillip

28th February 2012, 22:59
as far as me and berkspotter are concerned anyone can ask for hints or direct answers as they see fit and expect to get help, whether for a crossword or a quiz.
BUT if a quiz compiler has specifically asked that entrants don't ask for help they should respect that. I won't know if a compiler has said this unless someone tells me. All that's required is for someone in the know to post to that effect, then I won't help. It is up to those in the know and who object to shame the miscreant into buggering off by posting ever increasing vitriolic comments. e.g. the compiler has asked etc........ why must you continue to cheat you etc....... you really are a piece of etc....... why don't you fu etc. that sort of thing.
34 of 36  -   Report This Post

mrs trellis

29th February 2012, 08:14
Please Phillip, say what you mean! Well,it seems we're all more or less agreed on this one, which is lovely if ever so slightly boring.
35 of 36  -   Report This Post

gina

29th February 2012, 09:06
I send in 3 or 4 crosswords a week. Have only won a small prize from 'You' mag. in years.As am trying hard to save for daughter's wedding I would love some help - either from the Forum or the newspapers! Also I enjoy trying to work your questions out.
36 of 36  -   Report This Post