CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

bullfrog

21st February 2012, 00:17
Sorry to be picky (again) Les, but I don't see how ape/imitate equates with swing the lead, which means to shirk one's duty or malinger.
11 of 17  -   Report This Post

les40

21st February 2012, 00:26
Well well Bullfrog, are you picking on me.

I was thinking that "To swing the lead" is usually applied when someone is pretending to be ill to get out of something they don't want to do, like going to work/
Or, pretending or feigning an injury or illness to claim money from an accident (ie, whiplash) or to cheat the benefits agency to claim welfare allowances.
Swinging the lead is the ACT that is conducive to the outcome intended.
12 of 17  -   Report This Post

bullfrog

21st February 2012, 00:31
Absolutely -- that's what it means, but where is the 'ape' element?
13 of 17  -   Report This Post

les40

21st February 2012, 00:42
Chambers: To mimic, to imitate

would this not be construed as feigning, pretending or acting out a bogus illness or injury.

eg; to claim money for a back injury that hasn't actually injured your back, you would have to imitate the actions associated with a back injury.

Ooh-ouch-oh my back's killing love, make me a cup of tea, I can't get out of this chair with my really painful back.
14 of 17  -   Report This Post

les40

21st February 2012, 00:44
Sorry,

The Chambers Ref was for the word Ape
15 of 17  -   Report This Post

paul

21st February 2012, 00:45
Great Scott!
16 of 17  -   Report This Post

bullfrog

21st February 2012, 01:42
Looks like we'll have to agree to differ again, my friend. And I'll have to stop being so picky!
17 of 17  -   Report This Post