CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

aristophanes

10th February 2012, 12:38
Wendy: In the US it's customary (at least I've seen it done on numerous occasions) for the maid/matron of honor to give a speech; it's usually not as long-winded as the best man's, however. Oddly enough, I've never heard the father of the bride speak; in fact he, like the groom, usually has that deer-in-the-headlights (as we say over here) stunned look.
Speaking of which... Whenever I see the subject line "Who Am I?" I think of our 1992 presidential election. Ross Perot's running mate, Admiral Stockton, was asked for his opening statement in the televised vice-presidential debate, whereupon he faced the camera with a bewildered look and said: "Who am I? Why am I here?" You could almost feel the continent shaking in a huge guffaw.
11 of 17  -   Report This Post

aristophanes

10th February 2012, 12:39
Admiral Stockdale, not Stockton.
12 of 17  -   Report This Post

wendy

10th February 2012, 16:53
Aristo - never heard of a girlie doing a wedding speech - it's always the Father-of-the-bride over here - usually after copious amounts of champagne - then they tend to get emotional about their "little girl" - despite the fact that she's probably well into her 30s and has been living with the bloke for years anyway!

I liked your Presidential story - reminds me a bit of an elderly chap whose name was Commander something, standing at the hotel reception desk saying "Get me a cab woman". When the receptionist asked where he wanted to go he simply replied "Home, of course"!
13 of 17  -   Report This Post

pastille

10th February 2012, 17:36
Hi Wendy,

Just to let you know, my gorgeous niece gave a Brides speech. Very amusing it was too.

An unusual wedding in a lots of ways...and fabulous.

Hope you are well...only 7 days till pussygate.
14 of 17  -   Report This Post

wendy

10th February 2012, 22:27
Hi Pastille, hope you're well.

Great about the girlie speech - I don't see why it shouldn't be "the norm" but somehow it isn't.

Our house is getting well and truly prepared for the arrival of Rufus and Randy. After a few false starts, they're arriving by fast ferry Sunday 19th.
15 of 17  -   Report This Post

sallyw

10th February 2012, 23:13
A little romantic story - Leslie Crowther, the late quiz show host was telling the story about his daughter Caroline's engagement to the late Phil Lynott from Thin Lizzy. He said it was all very traditional, Phil came to his house and asked him permission to take his daughter's hand in marriage. Leslie's rsponse was "why not - you've had everything else!"
16 of 17  -   Report This Post

wendy

11th February 2012, 08:49
sallyw, lovely story!

How are you healthwise?
17 of 17  -   Report This Post
Home » Forum » Who Am I?