CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

ab

7th February 2012, 17:00
1 A wrong to right (4) – Tort? ( To+Rt- legal term for wrong done)
2. Are these bogs held for landings on enemy shores? (10)- Beachheads ? (heads is another word for toilets or “bogs” beachheads are areas held for landings etc)
3. Extremes of economical odds taken at mid-morning (7)- elevens? (Extremes of “economical” + “evens” (odds, so to speak) gives elevens, in Chambers as equivalent of more familiar “elevenses”)
4. Foreign buy out exuberantly devised (8) External? (“exuberantly” without “buy”-- anagram)
5. To sum up the ultimate condensation? (2,3,4)- In one word?

11 of 29  -   Report This Post

joan

7th February 2012, 17:00
Here's the best I can do...
1. Tort
2. ?
3. Elevens
4. External
5. In One Word? (probably v wide of the mark)
12 of 29  -   Report This Post

ixion

7th February 2012, 17:01
5. in the main?
13 of 29  -   Report This Post

ab

7th February 2012, 17:02
may getthis twice 1. A wrong to right (4) – Tort? ( To+Rt- legal term for wrong done)
2. Are these bogs held for landings on enemy shores? (10)- Beachheads ? (heads is another word for toilets or “bogs” beachheads are areas held for landings etc)
3. Extremes of economical odds taken at mid-morning (7)- elevens? (Extremes of “economical” + “evens” (odds, so to speak) gives elevens, in Chambers as equivalent of more familiar “elevenses”)
4. Foreign buy out exuberantly devised (8) External? (“exuberantly” without “buy”-- anagram)
5. To sum up the ultimate condensation? (2,3,4)- In one word?
14 of 29  -   Report This Post

ixion

7th February 2012, 17:03
Also thought beachheads for 2. but don't get the bogs bit(unless it's used as a mild expletive) are/be bogs/ach?
15 of 29  -   Report This Post

ab

7th February 2012, 17:04
Apologies, computer froze. Much bad language.
16 of 29  -   Report This Post

aristophanes

7th February 2012, 17:11
Good one, Jolan. For 5 I had "do the math" (sum up), a common Yankee expression that's often used both imperatively and with a sarcastic edge. I realiz(s)e that you guys say "maths", but anyway I was taking mathematics as the ultimate abstraction- or condensation. "In one word" is admirable.
17 of 29  -   Report This Post

jolan

7th February 2012, 17:12
Thanks all. AB has it exactl;y right. The explanations spot-on. I include my own just for completion.

1. TO + RT
2. (cryptic) BEACHHEADS. bog = toilet = head (often in plural; heads) . Beachheads are held for landings ...
3. E + L + EVENS (these are ‘odds’). Elevens is an alternate spelling of elevenses in Chambers.
4. (complex anag = devised) of ‘exuberantly’ – ‘buy’ EXTERNAL = foreign
5. (cryptic) IN ONE WORD = to sum up. The rest is the cryptic bit (condensation = anything that has been shortened)

Hope answers satisfactory

Bless
J
18 of 29  -   Report This Post

ab

7th February 2012, 17:14
Thanks again, Jolan, for an entertaining and challenging set of clues.
19 of 29  -   Report This Post

andyc

7th February 2012, 17:15
Thanks Jolan, only managed three of them this week but enjoyed the challenge.
20 of 29  -   Report This Post