CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

aristophanes

3rd February 2012, 17:44
Found the page but the grid itself doesn't appear. Curious. Hope this works.
http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2004/09/chain-links/3413/
11 of 26  -   Report This Post

greedy kite

3rd February 2012, 18:05
Phantastico! Sorry to bother you when you're struggling, but can you find the link to the May one (beginning, I think, s'th like CELEBRATES) as well, They're really fun: not incredibly difficult, but rewarding! BTW doesn't "glad for gled" sound identical where you are? Hamburg parents thought that was correct, and couldn't u'stand my insistence on differentiating (between) the two!Was falling asleep slowly over my second attempt, but amazingly enough not too many left now, tho' I don't always follow the reasoning. If i can check those answers, I'll move on to your favourite, which I've noticed before but never attempted.Is the magazine itself worth reading? I seem to remember it half a century ago in my youth -- or am I confusing it with "Transatlantic" or s'thing? Wonder what Les will think about my latest clue efforts...You're a real source of interesting titbits (if that word's PC over there...)Hope to hear from you again soon! m.
12 of 26  -   Report This Post

aristophanes

3rd February 2012, 20:15
I wrote a long response a couple of hours ago, clicked submit- and lost my connection again! Anyway, try using the link at Post 4 above. I didn't see anything with "Celebrations", and didn't know whether you were looking for a puzzle or a solution.
Glad and gled are indeed pronounced differently here- like had and head.
I grew up with The Atlantic and always loved it; you never knew what to expect, and the articles were always erudite. It was published in Boston from the early 19th century but moved to Washington a few years ago, and you can tell. Though it's still well-written, it's much more focused on politics and social issues now, and it has more of the smarminess of The New Yorker, and less of the scholarship-worn-lightly-but-very-evident, old-fashioned Bostonian ease.
It's usually spelled tidbit over here.
13 of 26  -   Report This Post

greedy kite

3rd February 2012, 21:35
hi, Aristo! Hope your technical problems are now less annoying: I've had enough lately here,too. eventually found all I needed: May 3% wrong, June 0 %,for your favourite I've given myself a quick start, having recognized the answers from last year --- but thy're all an education of the more pleasant variety!thank you again for all your trouble: this has been a small revela/ution for me!
14 of 26  -   Report This Post

syzygy

5th February 2012, 02:11
Hi aristo.

Thanks for the additional links. How did you find the answer pages? Experimenting with the address?

Odd that the numeric & text months have a different offset for puzzles & answers.

Well, we'll have our hands full with the Joint Effort shortly.
15 of 26  -   Report This Post

les40

5th February 2012, 02:19
Your not wrong there syzzie,

By the way, have you seen the Guardian post on the next page by Neko99, look at the clue for 19
16 of 26  -   Report This Post

syzygy

5th February 2012, 02:30
Thanks Les.

What's the matter with those people? Haven't they seen my name before? (-;

Hadn't looked at that. I usually just tap a couple of the latest posts when I sign on.
17 of 26  -   Report This Post

les40

5th February 2012, 02:47
I thought you would like it, Fame at last.

Anyway, besides that, I've just been for a search around for archive Atlantic puzzles and ended up on a site that listed every puzzle name since it started in 1977 (month by month)
I then clicked on a link that took me somewhere else and then gave me a link with a guys name. I clicked it and ended up with his email address, so I have sent him an email for information about archive Atlantic puzzles.
I did the "Chain Links" which aristo posted on here, and I still had the completed copy in my files, so I rooted it out and got the names "Emily Cox & Henry Rathvon" who compiled that grid, and that's who I followed via links to get the guys name. I will let you know if he responds.
If it helps, I downloaded it from aristo's link on here on Friday, October 28th 2011
18 of 26  -   Report This Post

les40

5th February 2012, 02:53

syzygy

5th February 2012, 03:17
Excellent, Les. Is it available on Amazon.uk ?

This whole thing started with Wendy wanting American cryptics:
http://www.crosswordsolver.org/forum/213285/offset/0

Then aristo & I posted links to The Atlantic.
I think those cover 1997 to 2006, when they stopped completely.
You say you found something back to 1977?
Do you remember the link? It should be in your browser history.

When I get a moment, I'll try that Dropbox site & post the Harpers puzzles.

BTW, did you get the one I sent?

20 of 26  -   Report This Post