CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

jws

3rd January 2012, 16:43
Hi Jolan, I think the level is about right. I've done 2,4 and 5 fairly quickly but now stuck
11 of 19  -   Report This Post

djawhufc

3rd January 2012, 17:00
Hi Jolan good clues as always- here are my stabs. Glad you are on the mend.

1. Perceptively sigh when troublesome elderly cat’s put out (5-9) Clear sightedly (anagram of sigh elderly cat)
2. Misleading two pelicans? (6-8) Double crossing (play on words ‘pelican crossings’)
3. Find second class at each end of the First Lady's train (5) Level (second letter of class at the beginning and end of EVE (first lady). Level is a synonym of train
4. Mercy shown by man revealing old defensive weapon (12) Quarterstaff (quarter as in mercy and staff as in man)
5. State he would notice (4) Heed (sounds like he would or he’d and heed as in listen or notice)
12 of 19  -   Report This Post

rosalind

3rd January 2012, 17:00
Can only do 2 Double- crossing and the one for which the answer is Level, which I really enjoyed
13 of 19  -   Report This Post

pastille

3rd January 2012, 17:06
Just the one ...no 2!

Great fun trying though.
14 of 19  -   Report This Post

jazzgirl

3rd January 2012, 17:11
ditto to pastille :)
15 of 19  -   Report This Post

aristophanes

3rd January 2012, 17:11
I'm with Lionheart- had 1, 2, and 5. Thought 3 began and ended with L but just didn't catch the TRAIN/LEVEL connection. I'll now be more cautious when I encounter someone with a quarterstaff, having had it pointed out that it isn't strictly for defense.
16 of 19  -   Report This Post

jolan

3rd January 2012, 17:18
Thanks all for having a go and for the lovely comments.

dj. The explanations are spot-on. Thank you.

Re the 'defensive weapon', I agree it can also be used for 'bopping' a la Little John. I put it my way as a direct entry from Chambers:-

quarterstaff n a long wooden pole with an iron tip, an old weapon of defence; the use of this weapon.

Wonderful to have had so many re4plies.

Bless

J [/b/
17 of 19  -   Report This Post

ab

3rd January 2012, 17:54
Belated thanks, Jolan. Had to go on call before alloted time, but number 1 eluded me (was not even close).
18 of 19  -   Report This Post

lionheart

3rd January 2012, 21:48
Nice work Jolan! Thanks :)
19 of 19  -   Report This Post