CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

ixion

2nd January 2012, 00:33
Query and observation..

14 Drunkard embracing prince (his?) in tear-jerker, possibly (6)

I'm missing the relevance of "(his?) in" some literary reference perhaps?

18 Superstar’s centrepiece run th-R-ough once (5)

R seems to have been missed out?
11 of 25  -   Report This Post

aristophanes

2nd January 2012, 01:20
I too thought "his" superfluous. And I'm sure "though" is a misprint. At first I thought it must mean a run of letters in the center of the word, but the definition is indeed run through.
12 of 25  -   Report This Post

ixion

2nd January 2012, 01:33
Wonder if it's something to do with "so this"?...

The Guardian Genius 103 is now online Aristo if you're in need of mental stimulation.
13 of 25  -   Report This Post

bullfrog

2nd January 2012, 01:35
Until you pointed it out, my eyes had tricked me into reading the word as 'through'! (It IS a bit late...)
14 of 25  -   Report This Post

bullfrog

2nd January 2012, 01:40
(his?) could be a reference to Falstaff, who refers more than once to Hal as 'my prince'...
15 of 25  -   Report This Post

ixion

2nd January 2012, 01:41
That'll be it Bullfrog, thanks.
16 of 25  -   Report This Post

aristophanes

2nd January 2012, 17:40
Just finishing this, and missing one letter- and I'm sure I'll feel even denser when I find out what it is. For 13a: Small boat that lacks e.g. boater to paddle (4) I have TRO_. I'm assuming it's trog, and that there's some word for boat that you can drop, say, hat from to get it. Aaaaaargh. Also, I have INMATE for 6d: One doing time, not available set apart inside, but don't get the wordplay. Ditto sound of frustration.
17 of 25  -   Report This Post

gasmanjack

2nd January 2012, 17:51
Can anyone help withe the word for Beetles (22A)
18 of 25  -   Report This Post

perec

2nd January 2012, 18:00
aristophanes: small boat is TROW (I'd never heard of it either...), so you were on the right track, but you lose 'hat' from 'that' to leave 't', and then add 'row' (paddle)...

I have INMATE for 6d tood, and parse it as an anagram of TIME ('doing time'?) and then 'NA' (not available) inserted and separated ('set apart') inside... the whole is a very clever '& lit' clue.
19 of 25  -   Report This Post

aristophanes

2nd January 2012, 18:00
i just realized that it has to be trow (duh- barking up the wrong tree), but don't see why yet. Beetles- DERMESTIDAE.
20 of 25  -   Report This Post
Home » Forum » Azed 2065