CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

aristophanes

1st January 2012, 21:43
Thanks so much, Wendy. The Scots words are always a pain (though loch doesn't pose much of a problem). I've finished the puzzle but still don't get skyscraper. Are the kitties still named R & R? Bet they won't give you much of it.
11 of 18  -   Report This Post

wendy

1st January 2012, 21:47
Aristo, not expecting much R & R with those two. Was thinking we need new curtains in the sitting room but have decided to delay purchase for a year or so!

Glad you've done Araucaria - clever chappie that you are! Well done.
12 of 18  -   Report This Post

greedy kite

1st January 2012, 22:08
Hi,aristo! Thought I'd put you out of your misery on "skyscraper":scraper can mean fiddler=swindler (s. Ch.),which Fagin was;heaven = sky --- in French (ciel) & in German (Himmel) no distinction is made between the words.OK?
13 of 18  -   Report This Post

aristophanes

1st January 2012, 22:24
Thanks! It should have occurred to me to ask the resident sky-scraper.
14 of 18  -   Report This Post

bullfrog

1st January 2012, 23:45
Thanks greedy kite -- I'd been puzzling over SKYSCRAPER as well. That makes sense.

And Wendy, have you never heard the expression 'Lang may yer lum reek?'. (For those of a nervous disposition, don't worry, it's perfectly respectable...)
15 of 18  -   Report This Post

clashcity

1st January 2012, 23:51
skyscraper: cocney rhyming slang, sky rocket, pocket, skyscraper, pickpocket. heaven for Fagin.
16 of 18  -   Report This Post

dizoz

2nd January 2012, 03:19
hi wendy, Bullfrog, greedy kite. Bullfrog , you didn't finish the Scottish New Year's Wish "Lang may yer lum reek , wi ither peeple's coal" best wishes from an ex-pat scotch Aussie. thanks wendy for the xword site, i'll have a look.
17 of 18  -   Report This Post

wendy

2nd January 2012, 07:53
Thanks GK et al, Rufus in the Guardian today - he can sometimes be a bit devious but generally a lot less difficult than Araucaria!
18 of 18  -   Report This Post