CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

john (from arran)

10th August 2009, 22:24
Well, now it's my turn to boast. We had a second local newspaper (The Arran Voice) which started up a couple of years ago and folded again early this year (no pun intended but it was quite good wasn't it). They had a weekly crossword which I won no less than nine times in the short existence of the paper. In the early days the weekly prize was a selection box from Arran Aromatics (which SWMBO very much enjoyed) and later a hamper from the local cheese shop. Some weeks there was only one correct solution, so it was a fairly reliable source of nourishment. I even won the Christmas Special last year which was an exceptionally large hamper of island goodies including a bottle of the 10 year Arran malt. I can feel those green eyes JimB.
11 of 15  -   Report This Post

trevor

10th August 2009, 22:27
twat
12 of 15  -   Report This Post

the alchemist

10th August 2009, 22:33
I think it's great to hear of people winning. It shows they don't put all the entries in the dumpster. I think the earlier info from J from A confirms that you are much more likely to win in a local paper compared to say the Express £1000 Monday crossword (which I have now stopped entering).
13 of 15  -   Report This Post

campanilla

10th August 2009, 22:38
Succinct as ever, Trev. Why waste a whole lot of words when one admirably says it all?
14 of 15  -   Report This Post

jimb

10th August 2009, 22:42
John from A

Many years ago I was a winner of the Guardian prize crossword, which, in those days, was a £10 book token.

As it happened, at the time it was my wife's cousins birthay, a man of letters who had emigrated to America and was a teacher in Chicago and was on vacation back in England. The godsend of this booktoken was presented to him as his birthday gift.

My only regret was that, in giving it I no longer had the card as proof of my achievement with to impress my grandchildren.

Sorry about all that, but, back to the Arran 10 year old malt, I can only indulge in green eyes if I had previously sampled some, which I ain't yet done. So, send some soon.

Jim(hic)B

15 of 15  -   Report This Post