CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

devil's advocate

10th August 2009, 22:38
Excuse me, but in my position I use fulmination rather a lot to keep my client happy. In fact he fulminated in my ear just a few moments ago to let me know you were here.
21 of 27  -   Report This Post

jimb

10th August 2009, 22:59
PezB

I did struggle originally when I had F?L?I?A?T?D and feeding this into crossword solver was all in vain. However, aand it is strange how often this happens, on returning to recheck the clue and the assembled letters and ?'s the word FULMINATE popped into my head and, on googgling found it to be correct.

Another incredible tale from the wonderful world of "Can you believe that." Tune in next week when we may find out who the second captain was in the original Star Trek series.

JimB
22 of 27  -   Report This Post

john (from arran)

10th August 2009, 23:11
Did you try putting ??L?I?A?E? into http://www.chambersharrap.co.uk/chambers/puzzles/word_wizards/wwizards.py/main">Chambers Word Wizard? It finds 20 matching solutions including FULMINATED and FULMINATES.
23 of 27  -   Report This Post

jimb

10th August 2009, 23:25
John from A

One of the things that I enjoy about this forum, apart from the fact that Trevor, for instance, can submit a one word post of "Twat" and get an instant accolade from fickle old Campo, is that it creates an opportunity to share a problem and give everyone the chance to join in. I see a danger in the supply of "technical" information such as Chambers World Wizard that may, eventually, lead to this site becoming redundant. I think I would regret this.

Jim(tiny tear)B
24 of 27  -   Report This Post

trevor

10th August 2009, 23:51
Green eyes again JimB?

I see what you mean about redundancy but people like pooksahib (for instance) come for explanations, as do we all, and the quiz and chat.

ps. sorry J from A. twat was a typo.
25 of 27  -   Report This Post

campanilla

10th August 2009, 23:59
'twas not an accolade, 'twas an observation.
26 of 27  -   Report This Post

big dave

11th August 2009, 00:15
Well I got fulminated without any help from this forum or Chambers Word Wizard!

No-one has mentioned the wordplay which confirms it - FATED (destined) around (to keep) ULM (German City) and IN.

If there was a difficult clue it was EDOVERTH being ED OVER TH leading to TH UNDER ED, which I only got by working back from fulminated.
27 of 27  -   Report This Post
Home » Forum » guardian