CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

aristophanes

21st November 2011, 18:02
Thank you, greedy kite. Still puzzling over your name.
11 of 19  -   Report This Post

greedy kite

21st November 2011, 20:28
Don't tell anyone,but it's the meaning of my Anglo-Saxon family name (no kidding),and if you could see me, you'd not be surprised! But please keep that to yourself,of course...
12 of 19  -   Report This Post

aristophanes

21st November 2011, 21:38
I would never dream of telling anyone here that you look like a rapacious bird. Of course kite also means (or used to mean) a person who preys on others, but I trust that isn't apt.
13 of 19  -   Report This Post

theambler

21st November 2011, 21:48
Hi Aristo
Apropos another competition!!!!!!!
MAVEN Does anyone over there use this word
Chambers says Yiddish slang But is it extant?
And B T W Is anything made of the fact that Colorado and Wyoming are rectangular?

Have a nice day we are learning to say
So Do
Best wishes THEA
14 of 19  -   Report This Post

greedy kite

21st November 2011, 21:58
THEA: take a look at the Wikipaedia entry on the subject:page modified only 3 days ago!
15 of 19  -   Report This Post

aristophanes

21st November 2011, 22:17
Yes, the word maven is very often used (especially in the press it seems). Re WY and CO: Kansas and the Dakotas and New Mexico and Utah come pretty close in the rectangularity department, but even though they can't quite match that admirable perfection I don't think that CO and WY have inspired anything resembling a Pythagorean cult.
16 of 19  -   Report This Post

aristophanes

21st November 2011, 22:37
Though it wouldn't surprise me if such a cult did exist in CO- vey trendy place, lots of loonies. Of course I should talk, being from Massachusetts. Different brand of looniness though.
17 of 19  -   Report This Post

theambler

21st November 2011, 23:16
Hi Aristo
Nice to get your posts I'm fascinated.
Knowing the parallels and longitudes they used it is possible to calculate the exact dimensions of these states (which Ive done for my own amusement)
Apparently there is a kink in one of the parallel boundaries because surveyers working towards each other didnt quite meet in the middle of nowhere fortuneately where it doesnt matter.
AND Wyoming would be exactly the same size as Colorado were it not a bit up the map where everything gets a bit narrower.
As i told you my cousin has lived in Denver for 60 years but has only been to three other states!!!
Best wishes THEA
18 of 19  -   Report This Post

aristophanes

21st November 2011, 23:28
THEA: I know people who live in Rhode Island and have never left the state, and if you sneezed on the highway that runs through it you might miss it. I always find it amusing when I see it used as a unit of measurement ("a piece of Antarctic ice the size of three Rhode Islands", "a Texas ranch the size of two Rhode Islands"). Someday I expect to see (in Wikipedia, perhaps): Rhode Island. Area: 1 Rhode Island. Actually a very nice place, and Providence is a beautiful city (Newport too).
19 of 19  -   Report This Post
Home » Forum » AZED 2060