CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

jolan

5th November 2011, 13:01
Thank you very much Joan
As my original post shows, SHAPE WELL was my first thought. It's just that I can't find any ref anywhere for SHAPE WELL = PROMISE (or even SHAPE WELL = shows PROMISE).
Is there a reference for SHAPE WELL?
11 of 21  -   Report This Post

rambler

5th November 2011, 13:05
It's a bit vague but I thought that if someone says they can 'spare' something it's a sort of promise. I hope someone does better.
12 of 21  -   Report This Post

joan

5th November 2011, 13:09
Sorry Jolan - I read your first post v hurriedly and somehow missed your mention of 'shape well'!
Chambers gives 'shape'= promise, but that's all i can find.
13 of 21  -   Report This Post

jolan

5th November 2011, 13:21
Many thanks again Joan.
Yes, my Chambers gives; shape = to give promising signs.
If the answer is actually, PROMISE = SHAPE WELL, then the setter would really be 'stretching it' beyond the acceptable.
Hopefully, we'll have a few more replies. I'll post it again in a week or so.

Tony, Ixion, Trevor - where are you?
14 of 21  -   Report This Post

ixion

5th November 2011, 13:28
Chambers gives "shape up" - to be promising....I'm sure(although like you I can't actually find a reference)shape well/shape up well are terms used in horse racing, athletics etc when a horse/runner is making a move through a field and looks like they will win.
15 of 21  -   Report This Post

jolan

5th November 2011, 14:40
Hi there Ixion.
Thanks for the suggestion. I've trawled Racing Terms, Jockey's Terms, etc and cannot find a ref.

I'm pretty confident my letters are correct (famous last words, eh?). I'll leave it for a week or so and then post it again with the source and my letter justification included.
Thanks for your input.

Tony or Trevor might come across this post sometime.
I believe Tony sometimes does this very crossword.
I'm off now. No crossies till Jolan's 5. Have a great weekend. J
16 of 21  -   Report This Post

calliewag

5th November 2011, 23:01
I don't see a problem here, Jolan. To me, 'it's shaping well' = 'it's promising'. Can't tell you why, just that it's a natural turn of phrase for me. Could it be a Yorkshire or Warwickshire idiom? I'd go with it, anyway.
17 of 21  -   Report This Post

wendy

6th November 2011, 08:58
I stll don't like it!

Ixion says "Chambers gives "shape up" - to be promising" which would be fine if the word was "promising" but it isn't.

Same goes fo Calliewag's "shaping well = promising" which I'd agree with if the words were as such - but again they're not.

My best guess is that they're both correct but that the compiler has been particularly sloppy.

I suppose you could always get everyone to check your existing letters Jolan...?
18 of 21  -   Report This Post

jazzgirl

6th November 2011, 09:16
I've been following this thread with interest. Just discovered my friend has been doing the same xword and has the answer as shape well (sh a pew e'll) but he comes from Hampsthwaite, Yorkshire.! I agree that it is not a good clue though.
19 of 21  -   Report This Post

jolan

6th November 2011, 13:26
Thanks Calliewag, Wendy and Jazzgirl.
Just taking a quick peek on Sunday before going out.

Chanbers does give 'shape up' = 'to be promising' (see Ixion - earlier) BUT this is more in the way of 'to develop' and certainly does not translate to 'promise' = 'shape well'.

I hope the setter has not, successfully, misled us! lol

I have had great faith in this particular 'magazine' crossword until recently, when a large booboo occurred. That was just a wee slip. Hope this is not another.
20 of 21  -   Report This Post
Home » Forum » No Name