CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

peterm

11th October 2011, 17:32
Couldn't get off the ground today - only managed 3. Bit dubious about 5.
11 of 17  -   Report This Post

tony

11th October 2011, 17:32
My last posting crossed with yours Jolan.
12 of 17  -   Report This Post

wendy

11th October 2011, 18:04
Sorry to say I only got one!

I must try harder - thanks to Jolan.
13 of 17  -   Report This Post

ab

11th October 2011, 18:28
Jolan, my apologies. I forgot to add my thanks to you for providing the clues.
14 of 17  -   Report This Post

phillip

11th October 2011, 18:45
martial/command,command/martial. could go either way couldn't it. excellant clues though. one point. I don't really get the "if it isn't in chambers it can't be right" idea. to me,that's a bit dated. lots of things are not in chambers but do exist in the real world.
15 of 17  -   Report This Post

jolan

11th October 2011, 19:51
Thanks Tony. I'm inclined to agree butI based it on:-
CHAMBERS THESAURUS
martial
adj
warlike, military, army, soldierly, militant, heroic, brave, belligerent, combative, aggressive, hawkish
FORMAL pugnacious, bellicose
and
CONCISE OXFORD THESAURUS
martial

adjective military, soldierly, soldier-like, army, naval; warlike, fighting, combative, militaristic; informal gung-ho.

All in all:- No.5 was a poor clue. Sorry.

Thanks also Wendy, Peterm and AB (ta for comment AB).

Phillip.

I am most certainly someone who thinks "if it isn't in chambers it can't be right".

I merely quote MY source for a clue and answer which I only quotewhen called upon to justify myself.

When 'setting' I always try to use AT LEAST TWO reputable sources before posting a clue. In this way, solvers come to trust me. Chambers and the COD Dicts and Thesauri are the two I use. I recognise there are many more. Thank you for your welcome comment.

Bye all & thanks again. J
16 of 17  -   Report This Post

jolan

11th October 2011, 19:53
Crikey Phillip, I'm having a bad typo day. I meant

I am most certainly someone DOES NOT THINK "if it isn't in chambers it can't be right".
17 of 17  -   Report This Post