CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

ajt1

1st October 2011, 11:43
Think of "Mrs" in Germany
11 of 22  -   Report This Post

eboyd

1st October 2011, 11:44
Think of a 'her' in Germany and the vehicle registration letter for that country.
12 of 22  -   Report This Post

twm

1st October 2011, 11:45
Thank you both.
13 of 22  -   Report This Post

wendy

1st October 2011, 14:13
I found "whored" a problem too. but it has to be right.

Guessed at SORDO being the anagram it was but felt compelled to look it up anyway.

Presumably Greedy Kite has a direct line to Himself.

What lovely puzzle (again)!!
14 of 22  -   Report This Post

greedy kite

1st October 2011, 16:59
Wendy:for technical reasons my 3rd attempt to answer you!First point:6d is Horde with ref to H.Orde (now explained in both forums)--I eventually sent off a corrected solution!Second point:anyone can contact A or any other setter via
crossword.editor@guardian.co.uk
---not that he's going to answer me,probably,as he was perfectly right (not even if we both went to THAT PLACE IN THE FENS haha).OK?No whoring,no hotline!And the worst thing is,I even remember that name H.Orde.Oh,well:still enjoyed the puzzle,and I never met the setter,like some lucky people here:saw those photos of his celebratory dinner when I was still an absolute beginner on this forum,about 9 months ago.Keep well,and out,as the pilots say.gk
15 of 22  -   Report This Post

ixion

1st October 2011, 23:44
Good H Orde spot Tony...can anyone explain the wordplay for 2D?

Thanks
16 of 22  -   Report This Post

ixion

2nd October 2011, 01:58
Accumulate alleged value of Paris(5)

A?A?S

17 of 22  -   Report This Post

greedy kite

2nd October 2011, 03:53
A good job you asked that question!Wikipaedia explains Henry IV is supposed to have said "Paris is worth a Mass"(=Catholic)on his crowning there,only later to issue the Edict of Nantes tolerating the Huguenots!You have taught me something,and that's always good!
18 of 22  -   Report This Post

ixion

2nd October 2011, 13:08
Thanks G Kite
19 of 22  -   Report This Post

hortensiajo

3rd October 2011, 08:22
Left this one over night, but it hasn't popped into my head. Haven't read Wind in the Willows - maybe that's why.

10d Aim to share points with 1 across, maybe, to attract following of retired artist (4,3,1,4)

_L_Y _O_ A _R_W

where 1 across is Toad of toad hall.

Play for a crow??

HJ.
20 of 22  -   Report This Post