CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

trevor

24th September 2011, 19:30
same here Mamya.lol.
Lionheart - impressed you got it all together so quickly and i enjoyed the result.
11 of 17  -   Report This Post

lionheart

24th September 2011, 19:41
haha...yes, sorry! There are two puzzles on there. I'll try to keep it to one puzzle per thread in future ;)
12 of 17  -   Report This Post

big dave

24th September 2011, 23:30
Lionheart

Enjoyed the puzzle.

A few observations about Cryptic #0001:
* Try to avoid using the same construct more than once - string = G occurs in 1a and 20a
* 12a is an alternate spelling which is not found in all dictionaries (it's not in my copies of Chambers or the ODE)
* 13a needs a better indication that initial letters are being used (heads of, starts to, initially etc.)
* 26a uses what is known as an indirect anagram, ie an anagram where the fodder is not present in the clue, which is generally regarded as unfair
* 3d I'm not sure that you can describe dropping the last two letters as removal of a double tail
16d The enumeration should be (5-4)
19d The word spoonerism does not require capitalisation but a reference to the Reverend Spooner does

Keep up the good work.
13 of 17  -   Report This Post

lionheart

24th September 2011, 23:57
Big Dave, your help is invaluable...thanks for taking the time! All points duly noted. It's the little details that pass you by when you're solving that can prove critical when compiling I guess. I'll see what I can do to correct/improve the puzzle before reposting for any future solvers and hopefully your tips will stick in my brain! Thanks again and I'm glad you enjoyed it :)
14 of 17  -   Report This Post

trevor

25th September 2011, 00:09
Lionheart, for what its worth.
13a was the weakest clue for me, and it wasn't that weak anyway.
keep 'em coming (hope your friends enjoy you too).
15 of 17  -   Report This Post

pastille

25th September 2011, 00:13
Lionheart...

I seem to remember you are new to the site.

If I'm right you should "tune in" on a Tuesday For Jolan's 5 at Five...a seriously wonderful clue setter.

And, later on that day for Clueless, a fun competitions where the previous weeks winner set a word, that people compose a clue for.

Will make sense when you take a sneaky peaky, and also join in.

You could check back on previous weeks...I think you like them.

p@
16 of 17  -   Report This Post

lionheart

25th September 2011, 00:25
@Big Dave
I've now made improvements according to your advice so it should read better now. The only one I couldn't change was 12a but I've put a caveat in the description.

@Trevor
re 13a...I agree. I've now added 'Leaders of' to signify first letters which I think is a slight improvement ;) So far I've only posted links on my facebook page and the only potential interest was from a friend's mother-in-law (!) but I know of a few others who might fancy a go once they know about it.

@pastille
Yes I'm new here. I didn't expect it to be so lively...it's great! Thanks for the recommendations, I'll be sure to check them out.
17 of 17  -   Report This Post