CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

fex

14th September 2011, 00:41
I got two answers, and admitted defeat.
11 of 30  -   Report This Post

pipesmoker

14th September 2011, 00:46
Hi, sallyw. It is good that you manage your sleep at some point in the day. You can cope better with most things when you are not exhausted.

Have been deprived of sleep a bit, myself in recent nights. Bubbles the cat is going through one of her hunting phases, and I awoke to find her trying to stuff a mouse into my slipper. During the mayhem which followed, said mouse escaped, and as far as I am aware, is still hiding behind a heavy bookcase. Then last night, what I thought to be a bird wedged under my bedside table, turned out to be a baby rabbit. When the prey is still alive, I return it to the field, but this daft wee thing ran straight back toward the house. Talk about forming a bond with your kidnapper.......

Anyway, I hope you continue to get relief from your pain, and that the dissatisfied don't pick on you because of me.

Best wishes.

P
12 of 30  -   Report This Post

chips

14th September 2011, 08:47
Pipesmoker - I think you need a copy of The Scots School Dictionary(Chambers). I find my copy invaluable, especially when my children accuse me of making up words.('Wabbit' and 'stushie' spring to mind.)
'Bumfie' is in this dictionary - the definition is 'adjective (of a person) lumpy in shape.'
13 of 30  -   Report This Post

pipesmoker

14th September 2011, 08:55
Hi, Chips.

I will definitely follow that one up. There are so many fine words in the language which seem to be falling into disuse.

Many thanks.

P
14 of 30  -   Report This Post

sallyw (aka - the original sallyw)

14th September 2011, 09:35
Mornning Pipesmoker. Your Bubbles stories brought back memories of my old cat Smokey Joe. He was alway bringing in live prey and we would all end up flappin about trying to catch anything from harvest mice to adult rats! He also used to pick fights with all the local dogs - he was a thug!
15 of 30  -   Report This Post

pipesmoker

14th September 2011, 09:52
Hi, Chips. I went on to Amazon and had a choice of a brand new dictionary for £252 or a second hand one for £6. Did you know that second hand is the new new?

Morning Sally,

I bet Smokey Joe came out on top when he went to battle. I used to live in an area of Bothwell where all the residents (except me) were kind of posh. It was a regular feature of life having the Siamese I had at the time, accused of bullying dogs, eating their dinner and generally mucking up their gardens. You can tell a dog what to do, and he will probably obey, cats simply give you a disdainful look and wander off.

Hope you had a restful night.

P
16 of 30  -   Report This Post

julie, aberdeen

14th September 2011, 10:31
Hi Pipesmoker,
I wouldn't want to cause another stushie... but I am most impressed that you have completed two-thirds of Les40's crossword. Am I allowed to ask a crossword question on this thread ? Do you have 27ac ?
Late drinks for these fly-by-nights (9)
What are the fly-by-nights in this context... midnight flitters, sundowners, nightcaps, tardyowls, cocoabats, moths, vampires, gadflies. Sh.. don't tell Les. I've been thinking about it for hours - must go and make my bumphlie bed.
Cheers Julie
17 of 30  -   Report This Post

chips

14th September 2011, 10:51
Pipesmoker - my copy of the Scots dictionary cost £5.99, but it was bought a decade ago.
£252 sounds gey dear!
18 of 30  -   Report This Post

sallyw (aka - the original sallyw)

14th September 2011, 11:01
Smokey Joe was the bane of the neighbourhood, who "adopted" at least half a dozen neighbours, all of whom used to feed "their" cat. He got huge, and it was only through a lot of detective work we found out why. Still he lived to 18 years, so none of did hm any harm!
19 of 30  -   Report This Post

pipesmoker

14th September 2011, 11:47
Julie, I have gone with nightcap (assuming it to have an alternative meaning), but as I say, I am only two thirds through, so might have to have a rethink.

Sally, I think this goes with the saying that people don't own cats. Cats adopt people, or in this house, we are at best, staff, and according to the mood, often servants.

Bubbles was a feral who chose the Pipesmoker household, but she still has traits of the wild, like living in a colony where one member stood guard while the others ate. I am the appointed sentinel for meal times while Mrs P has a more comfortable lap and is allowed to provide skooshy cream and treats. When we have served our purpose, we are ignored.

Such is life.

P
20 of 30  -   Report This Post