CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

rambler

8th September 2011, 11:37
Thank you everybody for your advice and to anyone else who would like to comment. My old dictionary is falling to bits and needs replacing. I'll have to think about which book to buy.
11 of 16  -   Report This Post

ajt1

8th September 2011, 11:37
I see that Pastille mentioned me (due to re-registration I am now AJT1) as endorsing the Chambers crossword dictionary. Sorry Pastille - like Wendy I have one that is relatively unused, while my regular Chambers is dog-eared and tatty. BUT - it's the only dictionary for serious crossword addicts.
12 of 16  -   Report This Post

pastille

8th September 2011, 11:43
Sorry about that AJT1!

The brain is a bit befuddled at times.

Hope you are well.

p@
13 of 16  -   Report This Post

ajt1

8th September 2011, 11:52
Thank you Pastille - yes, I'm fine. I have recently moved, and still living out of packing cases. Crosswords have had to take a back seat for a few weeks.
14 of 16  -   Report This Post

julie, aberdeen

8th September 2011, 12:05
You may have noticed press releases about the new (12th Edition) of Chambers due for publication around the 28th September. Hardback RRP £40. I hear that it only has about 200 new words in it so I will be sticking with the £23.50 11th edition for my niece's student son's present - which he won't thank me for anyway !

Some of the new words I have seen bandied about in the press are :-
dubstep, geek chic, paywall, green collar, rudas (definition = a foul mouthed old woman!)
freegan (definition = someone who rummaged for free food)
man-up, tombstoning and vuvuzela.
15 of 16  -   Report This Post

finn

8th September 2011, 12:07
Agree - Chambers Dictionary is the best - the new edition is the 12th,this one
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Chambers-Dictionary-12th-ed/dp/055010237X

I have a Chambers Crossword Dictionary , but rarely use it; as Tony says, Bradfords Crossword Solver's Dictionary is far superior. It's now on to its eighth edition.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Collins-Bradfords-Crossword-Solvers-Dictionary/dp/0007362579/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1315479831&sr=1-1

16 of 16  -   Report This Post
Home » Forum » CHAMBERS