CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

mrs trellis

5th September 2011, 17:04
Thanks peterm, I had wondered if that was the theme word, but thought it strange to have used it (almost) twice. I now see the wider connection though.Still not happy about all the extra bits of clue which seem to serve no purpose other than creating a random sentence to link the definition and anagram. Or am I missing something?
11 of 33  -   Report This Post

pendragon

5th September 2011, 17:09
A lot of it seems arbitrary. I assume the "unnecessary" words are merely there to make the anagrams make sense within the framework of the rest of the clue. Strangely, I had 16D early on, and at least four of the names, but failed to realise that the key was used twice. And I still have no idea what 10A is (plus 8D and 14A, the latter of which I have now convinced myself must be Magnusson!).
12 of 33  -   Report This Post

peterm

5th September 2011, 17:11
I don't think this is one of the best. Like so many themed puzzles, if you can crack the theme quickly-ish, it all falls into place too easily (with a bit of help from Google - I had zero knowledge of the theme beforehand).
13 of 33  -   Report This Post

mrs trellis

5th September 2011, 17:13
I too had many of the names but hadn't made the connection. Didn't help that I'd gone the wrong way to obtain the second H in 22a, thereby giving myself the wrong 'extra' letter. 8d's definition is the last word of the clue. When you've got that you'll get 10a.
14 of 33  -   Report This Post

mrs trellis

5th September 2011, 17:17
my answer for 14a means the definition is within the clue rather than at the beginning or end - again not good.
15 of 33  -   Report This Post

pendragon

5th September 2011, 19:32
(Sigh) And I was doing so well with this.

I cannot find the second G (the first is in 4D), but that's not important. I think I have had 7D wrong from the start, as I assumed it was the end of Quebecers, and now find I have it as a lullaby not an election. But I can't do anything with 8D (an anagram of AMAINTRO?), as it doesn't seem to fit any Park, National or otherwise, that I can find. And I assume 14A is a proper noun.

If my 7D is wrong, that might explain why I can't get 10A, but none of the clues seem to be of any particular sort. RUBBISHY is far too long to fit.
16 of 33  -   Report This Post

peterm

5th September 2011, 19:41
The definition for 7dn is "will".
Your letters for 8dn are right. The Park is a person, not a place.
Once you've got 7dn, 10ac will be obvious.
17 of 33  -   Report This Post

peterm

5th September 2011, 19:49
And the G that you're looking for, as far as I can see, can only be in 2dn.
18 of 33  -   Report This Post

pendragon

5th September 2011, 19:55
Thanks. I restored 8D to what I had in the first place, which didn't seem likely, as it had nothing to do with Parks ... except one. The G shouldn't be included in 2D as it's outside the necessary letters, but, ah well ...
19 of 33  -   Report This Post

pendragon

5th September 2011, 19:59
And yes, the agony is over for another month.

Thanks for the assistance.
20 of 33  -   Report This Post