CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

wee jock

31st August 2011, 13:19
Wee Jock

Howdy Folks
I've just finished RT36 and am surprised that noone has as yet opened this window(I dont like the term 'thread'). So it's my pleasure!
DISCUSS!

MUST FLY
NUFF SAID THE NOO
BEST REGARDS TO ALL
WJ
1 of 34  -   Report This Post

jazzgirl

31st August 2011, 13:52
Hello Wee Jock
Good to see you have finished RT36.
I found most of it easy-going, and finished it yesterday, but I did have a few problems trying to work out 1D 22A and 19D.
I loved 20A !!
All the best to you and the other folk on here. Hope you are all keeping well.
J
2 of 34  -   Report This Post

pipesmoker

31st August 2011, 14:24
Hi, WEE JOCK,

Just got the RT in this morning. If they would stop having Bank Holidays and giving people a day off, I would have had it yesterday.

Anyway, thank you for setting the ball rolling. Pretty straight forward this week, although I must confess that I though 16 across was a Scotsman with the surname Leitch. I had to Google the river to confirm that it exists.

Hope all is well with you in the far east. The other side of our fair land is a bit overcast, and its people loopy as ever.

Best wishes.

P
3 of 34  -   Report This Post

pipesmoker

31st August 2011, 14:27
though should read thought.

Apologies.
4 of 34  -   Report This Post

wee jock

1st September 2011, 00:12
HOWDY FOLKS
Hello Jazzgirl and Pipesmoker

Sorry I had to dash off earlier but here I am home again having prepared my meal and eaten it(Ye'll have had yer tea,Hamish?)and had a couple of long conversational phone calls.Now I'm ready to discuss RT36.

Yes,this was afairly straigutforward one but there were some neat clues in there but none of them were trite or corny. It's funny though that one persons stumbling block is another oerson's walkover. It all depends on one's experierience or profession etc.Even a genius cant know everything about everything(or can he/she?).Take 1d,Jazzgirl,you would have to be an electrical engineer or the like to see that one right away.
I liked your joke,Pipesmoker,about16a that
Scottish river that runs through Washington D.C.
The clues I had a little trouble with were:
3d.Finding a synonym for 'dominance'which
fitted the cryptic. and,
11a.Likewise for 'reproving' also,
12a.I could'nt think of the second part of the word as I dont allow myself to go near the computer while I am doing the puzzle and
I dont use this facility though my speling is
utroshus.
I liked the witty ones,5d. and 9d.
The weather here too,P/S, has been pretty dreich but it doesnt seem to bother the Festival visitors,its we dour natives who do the grousing.Winter drawers on!

NUFF SAID
GOOD HEALTH AND REGARDS TO ALL
OLD GAL TEN TIMES
NIGHTY NIGHT WJ
5 of 34  -   Report This Post

molly

1st September 2011, 18:43
Phew finished at last, with help on just one clue - 22a. Only 2 jumped out but then lots fitted themselves in nicely.
I am definitely now thoroughly addicted to cryptics and do enjoy the ones that make me smile.
6 of 34  -   Report This Post

pastille

1st September 2011, 19:09
Hello all,

Having a mental block with 1d -a-a- (5)

Any hints?

Take care,

p@
7 of 34  -   Report This Post

jazzgirl

1st September 2011, 19:34
Hi Pastille
I really struggled with this one.
It's an SI unit (see Michael Faraday in Wikipedia) Best of luck !
8 of 34  -   Report This Post

pastille

1st September 2011, 19:43
Thank you toots...
9 of 34  -   Report This Post

charlotte

1st September 2011, 22:09
Hello everyone.I also didn't receive my copy of RT until Wednesday,presumably because of the Bank Holiday (tho not up here).

I agree with Wee Jock--when others find a Xword a skoosh,I seem to struggle,and vice versa.Anyway after a very slow start,I've solved a few clues.

I liked 6A,12A,18A,24A and smiled at 20A when the penny dropped!

Can't think of 1D,16a,10A

Charlotte
10 of 34  -   Report This Post