CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

nimrod

25th August 2011, 10:49
Good morning all!
Yes,Old Gal the Italian author was easy enough. Loved the book written in about 1979/80 and the film that follwed.
With regard to 8A: think of a gauge to measure quantity: add a prefix to create a word that can mean a factor that "restricts" what is possible.
Hope this doesn't confuse you too much!
Regards,
NIMROD
11 of 33  -   Report This Post

wee jock

25th August 2011, 14:48

HOWDY FOLKS.

Nice to hear(see)Old GAL and PIPESMOKER sitting up and taking notice and throwing their hats into this ring.GOOD HEALTH and GOOD LUCK TO YOU BOTH.

Like you OLD GAL I too had a bit of trouble getting in here today but here I am at last.

R35,is a mixture,as I see it , of some fairly
basic clues, some neat witty ones,some tricky
ones,but,but,but a stinker,for me in
15a.Full cover is soft after I left work??
Well,I have two alternatives for this,both of which answer the basic clue perfectly, but neither of which can, for me, justify
the cryptic. I've plumped for the knight,s shining armour but I'm probably up two wrong gum trees, if anyone can understand this rubbish.
Got to go.
BEST REGARDS TO ALL
NUFF SAID
TEN TIMES
WEE JOCK
12 of 33  -   Report This Post

jazzgirl

25th August 2011, 15:04
Hello Wee Jock
If you need a hint for 15A, think of the Italian word for "soft" (musical term)then work the rest of the clue around it.
Good luck!
J
13 of 33  -   Report This Post

jazzgirl

25th August 2011, 15:25
... and you are right about the shining armour, wee Jock!
14 of 33  -   Report This Post

cantersue

25th August 2011, 15:26
Some offers of help if still needed and not too confusing.
1d Vessel circling turbulent lough for player of Dundee. (Think crocodiles, not city or cake!)
8a equal - measure around "a" - limitation
15a musical term for soft minus "I" followed by work for full cover (of a Knight)
15 of 33  -   Report This Post

wee jock

25th August 2011, 15:55
wee jock

Dear Jazzgirl,

Thank you for your kind clarification.It's funny how I cant see the wood for the trees sometimes.I had the answer right enough but I am never happy unless I get the cryptic too. I'm happy now!!

THANKS AGAIN
TEN TIMES (That's cryptic)
wj
16 of 33  -   Report This Post

bees

26th August 2011, 19:52
Hi All,
Phew,it's getting difficult to get in to this site. I'll be glad to see less of the foul-mouthed trolls, though.
I don't think this puzzle is "back to normal", I think it's a swine.
Can anyone give me a clue for 4 down please?
17 of 33  -   Report This Post

jazzgirl

26th August 2011, 19:59
Hi Bees
I didn't like 4d at all and it took ages to get it.
The answer is an American film actor. Letters 5 to 10 are anagram of "in loch" the rest is the surname of a late singer with first name Michael. Hope this is not too confusing. Will give more clues if needed :)
18 of 33  -   Report This Post

pastille

26th August 2011, 20:03
I agree Jazzgirl...I did not like the clue either,
19 of 33  -   Report This Post

bees

26th August 2011, 20:05
Thank you,
Haven't got it yet, still pondering ponderously.
20 of 33  -   Report This Post