CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

schoolsoutforever

19th August 2011, 19:22
Yes it is a very poor clue. Thanks for your input on this.
11 of 20  -   Report This Post

wendy

19th August 2011, 20:33
Hey schoolsoutforever

Am intrigued by your name. Have you just had your results today? If so, how were they?
12 of 20  -   Report This Post

ari

19th August 2011, 20:46
Roman numerals LI = 51.
13 of 20  -   Report This Post

theoben

19th August 2011, 21:52
All very clever but it doesn't quite work. I have another solution which doesn't quite work either.

What bothered me was the inclusion of "one's" at the start of the clue. if that was interpreted as "mine" with lli for lots of litres I, but that leaves AA unaccounted for. AA could be 11?

I suppose what it is is
"Felt one's consuming lots of" = milliner as a milliner would consume a lot of felt and the rest is as was said hours ago and l= litres. Late ramblings of an old man.

14 of 20  -   Report This Post

terry as was

19th August 2011, 22:38
theoben,

God knows what the true explanation is,perhaps milliners isn't even the right answer. My explanation fails to account for the r at the end. Yours has it's tricky bits doesn't it. Sometimes clues are pretty awful and this could be one of those times. I won't lose any sleep over it and I suggest you don't either.
15 of 20  -   Report This Post

ari

19th August 2011, 23:04
terry, I think the "r" comes from "right" in the clue and that perhaps suggests that the "lots (of) litres" refers to the initial letters. Which leaves a redundant "l" in "Milne"...

Do circular references occur in crosswords?
16 of 20  -   Report This Post

terry as was

19th August 2011, 23:14
Ari,

Do you mean "round", I can't see any "right".

"round" ought to mean that AA (milne say) goes around the litres bit. you can cook the illi, li combinations to your hearts content. Quite how the clue leads to "milliners" escapes me as well, but i suppose that is the answer.
17 of 20  -   Report This Post

ari

19th August 2011, 23:31
terry, the whole clue is:

Felt one's consuming lots of litres - I get AA round, right?
18 of 20  -   Report This Post

theoben

19th August 2011, 23:38
I revisited this and I am right although I rambled to get there.

The clue "Felt one's consuming lots of litres-I get AA round, right?"

The definition is as I said except a comma is not present. Felt, ones consuming lots of = milliner

The cryptic part is "Litres- I get AA round, right?

Litres I = LI ,Get AA (Milne) round =mil(LI)ne followed by R for right. Voila

19 of 20  -   Report This Post

terry as was

19th August 2011, 23:55
The oben and ari,

If there is an R at the end that makes all the difference. mil(li)ne(r. But the definition is awful, "felt ones consuming lots of", ergggggh.

Wouldn't it be nice if people gave you the whole clue,easy mistake to make though - I suppose.
20 of 20  -   Report This Post