CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

terry

17th July 2009, 21:04
looks good.

water runs/flows. Wolf (over)= flow.
16 of 44  -   Report This Post

trevor

17th July 2009, 21:04
wolf backwards.
17 of 44  -   Report This Post

bees

17th July 2009, 21:10
Thanks chaps! I never thought of putting a wolf into reverse, that's a howling success. I've also checked that this site doesn't send you an e-mail when you post to your own thread. Clever, innit?
18 of 44  -   Report This Post

john (from arran)

17th July 2009, 21:15
Well, now you've upset me. This site has never sent me an email since I joined. Could it be the Cabernet or perhaps the cocoa that's to blame?
19 of 44  -   Report This Post

bees

17th July 2009, 21:47
John, You are a little out of the way up there. Are you sure that you are actually connected to the internet and not hallucinating all this? Never mind the Cabernet, it could be a severe case of Dewar's flu.
(Don't worry, I don't understand this either).
20 of 44  -   Report This Post

jimb

17th July 2009, 22:13
Terry

You say that in every day language pent is not often used without up? I would say that that pent with or without up is not often used in every day language.

Bees

Begs = asks rather than raises

Bees and John from A

Since joining the forum I seem to have received many more E_Mails but not from the forum but from a multitude of other sources, mostly inviting me to spend. Co-incdence?

Cynical JimB makes a re-visit (Hi Campo)
21 of 44  -   Report This Post

terry

17th July 2009, 22:20
JimB,
With one notable exception I would agree that "pent" (with or without up) is rarely if ever heard. The exception is "pent up anger".
22 of 44  -   Report This Post

john (from arran)

17th July 2009, 22:37
The shepherd who keeps his sheep on the field behind our house is from a long standing Arran family and uses 'pent' rather than 'penned' when the sheep are in the enclosure. This Scots dictionary might help:

http://www.dsl.ac.uk/dsl/
23 of 44  -   Report This Post

jimb

17th July 2009, 22:49
John from A

When you say \"the shepherd who keeps his sheep on the field behind your house is from a long standing Arran family and uses \'pent\' rather than \'penned\' when the sheep are in the enclosure\". Is he speaking to you or writing to you? If speaking, how do you know?

JimB

P.S. Farmer, field, sheep, behind our house,... dump your computer and let go!!

24 of 44  -   Report This Post

bullfrog

17th July 2009, 23:16
The phrase 'pent-up emotions' springs to mind...
25 of 44  -   Report This Post