CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

jazzgirl

4th August 2011, 12:10
Good morning all .
I am new to cryptic crosswords, but managed somehow to complete 32 over the course of 2 days . I have just seen CM's link and I have to agree with Navigator on 6d. (being a bit of a musician myself)
I send my very best wishes to old gal :)
11 of 22  -   Report This Post

karen

4th August 2011, 13:15
Hi Navigator and Jazzgirl,I've had another quick look at MC's site,I agree with both of you.I dont think he looked at the clue closely enough!
Bestxx
12 of 22  -   Report This Post

old gal

4th August 2011, 14:31
Oh Well Done Karen! You explained 21a very well and I got it immediately - except I usually use a coarser 4 letter word at the commencement of the word..... Nice to see newcomers on the site and welcome! Will doubtless be asking for more help but meanwhile plodding on. Incidentally, finished last week's - yay........
13 of 22  -   Report This Post

cantersue

4th August 2011, 15:38
6 down definitely wrong as answer is contained in ("piece" of) the clue - maintrombone.
14 of 22  -   Report This Post

wee jock

4th August 2011, 15:53
HOWDY AGAIN

Yes,kAREN,I see 21a clearly now although it is not a word with which I am familiar,regional perhaps (barryl.... in your native land).
So,
Stacks of buildings containing goods=
Oodles of garden huts with stuff inside=
in large quanties=.h.d.o.d.

Now,still in critical mood,lets look at 12a,
the first of the phrase for'to make fitter' is surely 'lick'but again this may be regional although Chamber's has it as 'lick'.

Otherwise this was a good puzzle with some nice witty clues.

Sorry if I sound a bit of an anorak, but you've got to laugh!

HOPE ALL ARE WELL
NUFF SAID
TIMES TEN
WJ
15 of 22  -   Report This Post

mondrian

4th August 2011, 17:30
Hello Old gal. Keep on getting better. Best wishes for 15th. By the way well done on finishing last weeks - I haven`t yet!! Can you believe that. Still puzzling over 3D `Like Bear Island missile`, otherwise all present and correct so the Across letters I have must be right. I will revert to Xword 31 to see if there are any clues.

Welcome to our two newcomers.
16 of 22  -   Report This Post

nimrod

4th August 2011, 19:39
Good evening all!
Old Gal,very glad to hear you have not fallen at the first hurdle! All the best for 15th.
Not too difficult this week.
Did like 8A, 17D & 18D.
Regards,
NIMROD
17 of 22  -   Report This Post

charlotte

4th August 2011, 22:27
Finished at last!
I liked 8A, 14A, 16A, 9D.

re 12A...this was the first clue I solved..."whip" is another word for "beat" (as in cream)+ anagram of pantihose.

re 21A...I would be more inclined to say "bucketloads" and never "shedloads".

Charlotte
18 of 22  -   Report This Post

karen

5th August 2011, 00:11
Hello all.
old gal glad to help...wasn't the best of clues,was it? I know well the 4 letter alternative to start of answer,(ha-ha)!
Hi Mondrian,re RT31 3d Think of a large white bear+2 letter abreviation for island.
hope that helps.
Off to bed now. Nighty night allxxx
19 of 22  -   Report This Post

mr.light

6th August 2011, 02:30
Yet again, late on parade.
20 across, was going to ask for explanation, as typing penny dropped.
Am thinking of you Old Gal.
We is what we is.
20 of 22  -   Report This Post