CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

cmk

1st August 2011, 15:52
Hi Mrs T. Hows the weather in North Wales? Without giving too much away, I have a Catholic philosopher at 1d. In 14a I almost made a fatal mistake by thinking the second word was a pungent plant. I wonder if you have come to the same (incorrect) answer? I rechecked the letters making up the anagram and the penny dropped.

And for 27a - when I first downloaded and printed Genius, the letter count was (7) which threw me. It has now been corrected to (5,2) which makes it clear.

Hope that makes some sense to you.
11 of 27  -   Report This Post

mrs trellis

1st August 2011, 16:23
Thank you so much cmk, I have got same answer for 1d but don't get why - I'll keep looking at it. 14d I actually had the correct answer and now with your help I do understand it - I was being dim. 27a you've said the correction is (5,2). I couldn't get it so I checked the site and it says (2,5). At least it explains why I wasn't happy with my 7-letter word, but I still can't get it! Thanks for your help again. In answer to your query, it's bloomin' hot here!
12 of 27  -   Report This Post

cmk

1st August 2011, 16:39
oops - sorry Mrs T. Realised my mistake while having a piece of toast and nearly choked in my haste to return here and repair the damage, but you'd already sorted it (and at least I hope I pointed you in the right direction, albeit in a cack handed way).

As for 1 down, if you insert h(ard) in the answer you have it gives a word relating to Easter (often followed by 'victim' in hymns - I'm sure N. Wales is good chapel going country!.
13 of 27  -   Report This Post

cmk

1st August 2011, 16:52
Back again - for 27a the word 'with' is abbreviated in a way I don't much like, though it's in Chambers (and who am I?). The whole answer (2,5) is, if not quite slang, pretty informal - and may not apply to your current scorching conditions!
14 of 27  -   Report This Post

mrs trellis

1st August 2011, 16:54
Thank you cmk, glad you survived without recourse to the Heimlich manouevre.Finally got 27a anyway :-) Re 1d,I Googled it after your reply, as it's not a widely-used term among North Wales Southern Baptists - neither of us knew it.
15 of 27  -   Report This Post

teenieleek

1st August 2011, 19:42
Hi folks, I'm finished apart from 20dn - a hint would be gratefully received.
16 of 27  -   Report This Post

ebr

1st August 2011, 19:56
Think of 3 men in a boat.
17 of 27  -   Report This Post

teenieleek

1st August 2011, 20:14
Thanks EBR.
18 of 27  -   Report This Post

bullfrog

2nd August 2011, 10:04
I've stayed out of this thread until finishing the puzzle, so thanks for clearing up the numbering error at 27a -- my print out said 7 letters. I would take issue though with the definition of 24d -- it's not actually a 'gin producer'.

On another point, does anyone understand why the Dutch version is specified in the instructions? I can't see it, but I can see where the original author is locked up. Anyone else found him?
19 of 27  -   Report This Post

sudokulover

2nd August 2011, 10:11
Bullfrog - in 13d?
When I printed it said (7) for 27a but was later corrected for (2,5)
I thought sloe gin was made form sloe??
20 of 27  -   Report This Post