CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

pipesmoker

21st July 2011, 12:28
Hi, Chris.

What I actually meant to say was that I had understood how the clue would work, ie, something around the letter A.

Unfortunately, that was me stuck for ages, because I was trying to find a weight like stone or pound, or some abbreviation thereof to fit. Not until I had given that up, did the answer fall into place. I still don't really think the word represents a weight. More like volume or mass.

Best wishes.

P
11 of 21  -   Report This Post

pipesmoker

21st July 2011, 12:31
Hi,Old Gal.

Hope you are doing ok this week. It must be great fun watching four furry friends. Do they all get on? Do they follow you around, or are you just ignored by all four, in typical feline fashion?

P
12 of 21  -   Report This Post

wee jock

21st July 2011, 13:12
Howdy Folks

Greetings and GOOD HEALTH t OLD GAL and PIPESMOKER et al.
Well, that ws an easy one was it not?
The only ciue that held up alittle was 1d but I was able to work out it and check it in Chambers. The two proper names at 9d and 18a
I am not familiar with put them together from the from the letters I had.
PASTILLE, an alternative clue to 17d could be
'A swinging on a star animal astide a chamber pot,a small receptacle'

NUFF SAID THE NOO
WJ
13 of 21  -   Report This Post

mondrian

21st July 2011, 15:43
Greetings to you all. Old gal if you have disturbed nights, I hope you manage to get some `cat` naps in the day time!! Didn`t realise that you have four moggies.

Wee J - I meant to thank you for reminding us about the castaway on Desert Island Discs a couple of weeks ago - the 90 year old crossword compiler. He sounded great and what an encouragement to keep on solving to be as alert as he is. Specially liked hearing the beautiful voice of Kathleen Ferrier singing `Blow the Wind Southerly`

I am glad that others are stuck on 7A, 1D and 17D as am I, but in addition I am stuck on 22A (that M1 Club thing) and 14D (Change position etc). Also glad to know that some are not good clues - thats cheering.

Glad you are back to you usual cheerful self, Mr Pipesmoker. I could do with some help with the dishes too and I think I live nearer than Old gal!!

14 of 21  -   Report This Post

pipesmoker

21st July 2011, 16:30
HI, Mondrian. Guess Mrs P could hire me out, but after a wee absence, she might be happier to give me away.

I was being helpful the other day, and put her washing away. Such ingratitude. How should I know that dress suits don't get kept in the same drawer as the knickers? Still, I does me best.

Incidentally, 7 across has hee haw to do with weight.

Greetings to all.

P.

15 of 21  -   Report This Post

mondrian

22nd July 2011, 12:01
Hi Mr Pipesmoker - don`t believe for a moment that Mrs P would be happier without all your cheery banter!!

Incidentally crossword now finished - various pennies dropped last night with M1 thing being the last to fall!
16 of 21  -   Report This Post

old gal

22nd July 2011, 20:37
Hi Mondrian! I am still stuck on the M1 clue, amongst others! My cats all get on really well and it was Daisy's 3rd birthday yesterday. Was waiting for news from the hospital and in a bit of a state,but my two girls came and sat on my lap and cuddled into me! They move me so much sometimes! The two lads of course were on my bed, snoring! Typical men......
17 of 21  -   Report This Post

charlotte

22nd July 2011, 21:20
Hi everyone. Like Old Gal I'm still stuck on 22A and also 16A and 14D and 19D.I enjoyed 8A and 23A and 13D
18 of 21  -   Report This Post

deekay

23rd July 2011, 09:24
hello Charlotte (and others)

I also need some help (see below)

22a - answer wouldn't have be out of place at Agincourt - could do a serious amount of damage. Take the usual abreviation for motorway and add a word for one - but don't expect to see it in a pack of cards!

14d - take a romantic meeting and in the middle put an anagram of coils to get what happens when you move something and put it out of joint.

19d - Looking for a country often described on the roof of the world! includes a three letter shortened girl's name surrounding a two-letter word for father.

16a - Take a four letter word for profit or getting somethsmith better, starting with the letter you have from 13d. Before it add another word for pub or a place for a drink. No charge just a give-away!

Now help for me please - I' stuck on 1d, 2d and 7a. I think I have 10a as the male word for deer, but I stumped on those other three clues.

Deekay
19 of 21  -   Report This Post

charlotte

23rd July 2011, 21:31
Hello Deekay.Thanks for your response.I haven't worked out all your clues yet but I'll try to help you.The answer to 1d is another word for an ornate frame.To be honest I resorted to Solution Wizard but then realised that I had heard the word on TV antiques programmes.2d is an anagram of "flat" and the name of a red gemstone and is a TV character from years ago.7a is a misnomer.It should say "mass" instead of "weight" - another word for mass or volume round the letter "a" Hope this helps,Charlotte
20 of 21  -   Report This Post