CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

pastille

28th June 2011, 23:15
Pipesmoker...

Seriously, how could I explain Terry to my husband? "Yes, it's just an internet thing Hunny."

My windows will be well and truly close-ed.

I'll leave the cellar open though.

Nightynight x
21 of 27  -   Report This Post

tony

29th June 2011, 06:32
Hi Jolan
I'm sorry I missed your 5 yesterday. I believe I mentioned before that Tuesdays are sometimes a problem for me but I can usually squeeze in an hour between 4& 5 o'clock to wrestle with your clues.
As always yesterday's clues were very clever but I'm not really sure that No 5 works as intended. I can see the anagram which is clearly indicated and subsidiary wordplay
(last vexatious) but where is the precise definition in the clue -i.e a sea insect?
I'll try to join you next Tuesday and keep up the good work and high standards.
22 of 27  -   Report This Post

chrisg

29th June 2011, 06:36
Hi Jolan - Once again a great set of clues. I got them apart from 5. - that one had me totally flummoxed!
23 of 27  -   Report This Post

jolan

29th June 2011, 11:27
Hi Tony.
Yes, you said you'd be out some Tuesdays and I really miss your excellent contribution.

Re no. 5[/]
Anagram? There IS no anagram. The answer is SMOTHERED (see posts 12 & 14).
The last vexatious = S
mother = (v) bear (Ch and Ox thesauri)
bore = mothered.
the last vexatious bore = S + MOTHERED = SMOTHERED = put out (Ch + Ox Thesauri) e.g they smothered the fire.

Thanks Chrisg for the kind remarks.
24 of 27  -   Report This Post

jolan

29th June 2011, 11:29
Sorry Tony for all the underlining. Meant to be:-

Hi Tony.
Yes, you said you'd be out some Tuesdays and I really miss your excellent contribution.

Re no. 5
Anagram? There IS no anagram. The answer is SMOTHERED (see posts 12 & 14).
The last vexatious = S
mother = (v) bear (Ch and Ox thesauri)
bore = mothered.
the last vexatious bore = S + MOTHERED = SMOTHERED = put out (Ch + Ox Thesauri) e.g they smothered the fire.

Thanks Chrisg for the kind remarks.
25 of 27  -   Report This Post

tony

29th June 2011, 11:53
Hi Jolan

I do apologise for not reading the posts after a suggestion that the solution was PETROBIUS -(sea insect) the Bristletail or anagram of BOREISPUT.
This will teach me to not read/post until I've had my morning coffee.
Hope to 'see' you next week.

cheers T
26 of 27  -   Report This Post

jolan

29th June 2011, 12:03
Indeed Tony, how many times have I done it myself? LOL. Take care. See you next Tuesday, hopefully.
27 of 27  -   Report This Post