CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

paul

27th June 2011, 02:18
Hi Andy - glad to hear I was needed!

As I was born a generation and a half later my wartime remeniscences are more like the Falklands and are very London-centric.
Still interesting to learn the Scots - winchin I thought is what you do from the 'well!

Here is an interesting link for other mystified sassenachs..
http://www.firstfoot.com/dictionary/w.html

all the best

Paul
11 of 13  -   Report This Post

julie, aberdeen

27th June 2011, 11:50
Fit like loons ? = How are you chaps ?
Dinna worry Paul my winchin days are over - being born the year after Pipesmoker! I must admit I had to look "winchin" up in my 1980's copy of "The Patter - A guide to current Glasgow usage". I't not a word used up here in the north-east - the dialect is completely different - took me years to understand - being from Edinburgh originally - had to rely on "Teach Yourself Doric"
I liked your link. You might like to Google "Parliamo Glasgow" or Wiki for the doric dialect.
"Gie's a bosie" that's your homework.
Cheers
J
12 of 13  -   Report This Post

andy from the 'well watp

27th June 2011, 23:08
Pipesmoker - Scud Scobbie tried to teach me English in room 45 - he failed miserably! Only person I rememberfrom metallurgy was John Pryde. PAUL I hope you r not boasting about not knowing much about us sassenachs. Julie - fas cats at (to whom does the cat belong)- being from embra you'll have had your tea. C YA.
13 of 13  -   Report This Post