CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

charlies human

22nd April 2011, 08:13
Well Good Morning Everybody and Greetings to you all. Charlie and I don't always post but we do read the thread each week and love it. Last week we were feeling nostalgic about the trips we've made to the Islands over the years, starting when CalMac was just MacBrayne and we were off on an Adventure. In fact, all the talk of Calmac made us think we should get up to dear old Oban at once and go on a trip. However we had to make do with Bognor this week, and without wishing to offend, we thought we wouldn't do that again..... As for the Crossword, well we think we may be about to cheat because we can't seem to finish it ourselves. And as Charlie says, we wouldn't know a Faux Pas in a snowstorm in any case. Incidentally, all of you who need help from the N.H.S., we think of you particularly because we did, but now we are absolutely fantastic and better than before. [That's the Royal 'We' of course.] Happy Easter, One and All, from Him and me.
31 of 48  -   Report This Post

charlies human

22nd April 2011, 08:27
We cheated and I have to say, we wouldn't have finished without it because we would never have got 10a. Didn't anyone else find that one difficult? [Maybe we are gaga after all, but how would we know?]
32 of 48  -   Report This Post

pipesmoker

22nd April 2011, 09:25
HI, CH. Good to hear from you. Yes, Oban is a wonderful place. It is the gateway to so many islands.

Did you see the recent tv series, An Island Parish, about the young priest's first year on Barra? I had a holiday there once, but I prefer Mull and Colonsay. The best time to visit an island is well away from the tourist season. This is particularly the case in the small island where I live.

10 across. No, I had never heard of the place, but the word play was relatively straight forward, so when I had worked it out, I checked my dictionary and was pleased with myself.

Woke up the other morning to the sound of bones being crunched, and the almost simultaneous vomiting of the remains. Didn't help matters when I stood on the lot in my bare feet. Miss Bubbles was totally unrepentant.

Happy Easter to you and to all who celebrate the event. Happy Easter to those who don't.

P
33 of 48  -   Report This Post

old gal

22nd April 2011, 09:56
OK - I am down to two unsolved now. 10a - have tried googling old cities but feel I am missing something - more help please. Also 5d - head still not in right place in spite of previous assistance. Thanks for your comments Pastille - have a good easter holiday everyone and enjoy the sun!
34 of 48  -   Report This Post

pipesmoker

22nd April 2011, 10:18
Hi, old gal. For 10 across consider a word for longing. In this instance, it can also mean pain. Put that word into the indefinite article and you have a place. Incidentally, the first and second letters are the same.

5 down. This answer is held within the words of the clue.

Hope this helps.

P
35 of 48  -   Report This Post

murphy

22nd April 2011, 14:29
Went on hols to outer and inner Hebrides a few years ago. Long to go back. My Nan was a Mckenzie - I was told I was welcome on Mull. I thought the Mckenzies were a warlike lot, but apparently not always. My Nan was pretty scary. Here I am stuck in the Midlands. Where else should we explore? Scotland and the islands are the most beautiful places I have ever been - rating up with the west coast of Ireland. We used to go abroad quite a bit, but have been exploring more of Britain lately. What a country!
36 of 48  -   Report This Post

pipesmoker

22nd April 2011, 15:15
Hi, Murphy, Have you tried Lewis and Harris. I might be wrong, but I think you can now get a Sunday paper on a Sunday. In our bedroom in Stornoway, the landlady had a notice up saying that since it was not their custom to watch television on the Sabbath, guests should not do so either. Very well worth a visit, though.

When on Mull, did you go across to Iona? John Smith, the late Labour leader lies there in a very simply marked grave. I had an interview on Iona once, and got storm bound. Bliss.

On the mainland, try Wester Ross. Beautiful. Or Caithness and Sutherland. Bleak but beautiful.

On the other hand, there is Morocco. I came back smelling like an olive, since everything seems to be cooked in olive oil. I'll stick to UK in future.

Best wishes.
P
37 of 48  -   Report This Post

old gal

22nd April 2011, 15:47
Thank you Mr P - have finished at last! Incidentally, I never enter the competition so dont feel like a cheat asking for more help! Can I join in the British Holiday Debate? Spent some happy time up in Tongue, Sutherland ages ago - hope it has not changed too much! Like Ireland and and SW England, also Norfolk. Dont you like living in the Midlands, Murphy (I am an ex Brummie)
38 of 48  -   Report This Post

pipesmoker

22nd April 2011, 16:29
HI, old gal,

Welcome indeed. It is unlikely that there will have been much change in Tongue. We tend to take life rather slowly up north. The wee island where I live often seems as if it is firmly set in the 50s. When digital radio was quite new, and still expensive, I lashed out £100 on a set, only to find that DAB does stretch this far. We are still waiting for it.

I like living in a quiet area. It suits my particular brand of laziness. We do get a lot of day trippers from Easter until about the end of October. I prefer the winter months when you sometimes meet the occasional person on the street.

Best wishes.

P
39 of 48  -   Report This Post

charlies human

23rd April 2011, 08:48
Dear Mr Pipesmoker - that naughty Bubbles! I didn't dare mention the feet-in-it episode to Charlie. He too is unrepentant about such things and would undoubtedly remind me that he has a lot to put up with, though what, bearing in mind he lives like a lord, I do not know. Mull! One of the most beautiful places in the world. I've been to Lewis but prefer the rather more chocolate box beauty of the West and the Islands. There is another island off Mull too, Erraid, where at a Midsummer Fest I first heard the music of Pat Methany, which became one of my favourites. I have spent a great deal of time in Scotland and consider it one of my Soul's Resting Places. In fact, I wish we were not discussing it because I miss it and can't go there at present. But this afternoon I am going to a Sussex Bluebell Wood and what could be better than that. Once again, Greetings to you all, CH.
P.S. Used to live in Dundee and my home is full of the lovely things I bought at the Paddy's.
40 of 48  -   Report This Post
Home » Forum » RT 17