CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

terry

19th April 2011, 17:05
Hello Jolan,

yes, easier than last week, not that I'm complaining about that. I liked No4 best, you always do complex anagrams (is that what they are called) very well.
11 of 23  -   Report This Post

ixion

19th April 2011, 17:13
Hi Jolan

Def a bit easier this week - liked No.5 - thought No.s 2 and 3 were fine as posted btw.

12 of 23  -   Report This Post

tony

19th April 2011, 17:21
Hi again Jolan

You say that you set crosswords for fun, and you give us 5 examples each week which we enjoy solving.
I, for one, would love to see one of your full crosswords and wondered if you could provide a link so that we could pit our skills against a complete puzzle?
13 of 23  -   Report This Post

mary

19th April 2011, 17:26
Well done Jolan, very clever, thanks chrisg for the explanations, I did better this week, got 2!!, it is something to look forward to each week. Thanks

Good night

14 of 23  -   Report This Post

jolan

19th April 2011, 17:27
Ta Tony, Bullfrog, Chrisg (complete with clear explanations), Mamya, Mazie, Ixion and Terry.

The omission of "A" and "It" in the two clues was deliberate. If I put 'A' in, that reduces the clue to being 'one ended' only. Whereas it's omission leaves the choice between 'profit' and 'repeatedly' , slightly more difficult. And profit ealily translates to 'a gain'.

Inserting the 'it' would, once again, to a 'one-ended' clue. "it" would immediatelt point to something which makes the anagram while omitting it (the 'it' LOL) leaves the possiblilty of 'makes', makes nothing, 'ninth go' or simply 'go'.

Sorry if I'm being a bit obscure. Ixion gets it.

I call it a complex anagram, anyway, Terry.

Happy Easter all.
15 of 23  -   Report This Post

jolan

19th April 2011, 17:32
Thanks Mary.
Tony, I don't have a link. Actually, I pick some of my better clues. In fact, Big Dave offered to accept my crossies onto his web site before Christmas. I Have not yet goyyen around to it as yet. I'm retired and spend too much time on my hobby. Have to keep my 'superior being' happy. Don't want her to leave me at this late stage!!! So I've resisted the offer and will just carry on with the weekly submission for the mo. Thanks very much for your interest. Off to din-din now.
16 of 23  -   Report This Post

barrycat

19th April 2011, 17:37
Is the answer to 4 possibly abandon?
17 of 23  -   Report This Post

terry

19th April 2011, 17:40
Jolan,
I think you're right to leave things as they are. There are loads of crosswords available to those who can't get enough of them. The important thing with your "five" is that they have to be solved without any crossing letters. That can make them tricky and adds to the fun.
18 of 23  -   Report This Post

terry

19th April 2011, 17:42
Barrycat,

Have a look at post No8 on this thread, it explains everything.
19 of 23  -   Report This Post

mazie

19th April 2011, 20:34
Thank you Jolan. I really enjoyed your clues...bit miffed about not getting number 4 but hope to do better next week x
20 of 23  -   Report This Post