CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

bullfrog

18th March 2011, 01:21
Of course I did, trevor. I know you wouldn't expect me to wake up Mrs Bullfrog at this time of night...
21 of 25  -   Report This Post

trevor

18th March 2011, 01:28
she never used to mind, bless.
22 of 25  -   Report This Post

bullfrog

18th March 2011, 01:34
Well, she wasn't so fussy back then.
23 of 25  -   Report This Post

bullfrog

18th March 2011, 01:37
Actually, on second thoughts, I will go and wake her up. Night, night!
24 of 25  -   Report This Post

trevor

18th March 2011, 01:46
na night.
Celia - if you are still reading,don't take any of this guff to heart.
i found this,might help,

"There are several types of wordplay used in cryptics. One is straightforward definition substitution using parts of a word. For example, in one puzzle by Mel Taub, the answer IMPORTANT is given the clue "To bring worker into the country may prove significant". The explanation is that to "import" means "to bring into the country"; the "worker" is a worker ant; and "significant" means "important." Note that in a cryptic clue, there is almost always only one answer that fits both the definition and the wordplay, so that when you see the answer, you know it is the right answer, although it can sometimes be a challenge to figure out why it is the right answer.

A good cryptic clue should exactly explain the answer, while at the same time giving a meaningful surface reading. In our sample clue, a more exact wordplay phrasing would be "To bring into the country a worker may prove significant", since "ant" follows "import:" IMPORT + ANT. Note however, that the surface reading is then not as smooth as the original."

copied from,

http://www.wordiq.com/definition/Crossword

25 of 25  -   Report This Post