CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

alan

25th May 2009, 23:24
Hi Jerry,

I'm glad you pipped me to that reply because 26a was causing me problems. I had tentatively put EOLIAN in (an old-time from Greece, so not too bad I thought) which is possibly why I'm still working on 17d and 18d !

Alan
11 of 16  -   Report This Post

eleanormcn

25th May 2009, 23:29
Thank you Jerry, you obviously have St. Chambers off by heart. Reminds me of what the Reader's Digest used to proclaim (possibly still does for all I know) "It pays to increase your word power"...
12 of 16  -   Report This Post

alan

25th May 2009, 23:40
Hi Jerry,

Sure enough, EOTHEN was the key ! It's now finished I'm glad to say. I reckon something like 80% of the words were in Chambers but not in my head. When the % is that high I find it slow going !

I'll try the Azed tomorrow after some recovery time (glad to see you have finished it !)

Regards,
Alan
13 of 16  -   Report This Post

eleanormcn

26th May 2009, 00:04
Well done Alan and thanks for your earlier response. Good luck with the AZED - way out of my league but perhaps if I keep practising...
14 of 16  -   Report This Post

bob

26th May 2009, 08:51
Bonjour mon ami,

All has become crystal clear post claret. If I knew the difference between Roman numerals for 5 instead of 6 I would not have got my invocation mixed up with invitation!!(the clue now makes more sense as well!) As to spelling pence as pense I can only plead the case that I have spent centimes or cents for the past 15 years!! With the value of the bankrupt pound sterling so low aganst the euro I shall soon be spending the equivalent of the Ngwee!! Thank God the fuel, booze and smokes are cheaper than the UK!!
Have a good day!! England to beat the West Indies!!
Kind regards
Bob
15 of 16  -   Report This Post

alan

26th May 2009, 16:21
Hi folks,

For me, this week's AZED was much less arduous than the Mephisto. The answers are just as obscure but the clues less so !

Ratings of difficulty are notoriously subjective but I'd encourage Eleanor to try it ! (the Azed is available on-line to print out)

Regards to all,
Alan
16 of 16  -   Report This Post