CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

crypto

16th January 2011, 10:07
Cheers Les - I've sorted this out now. I had 12a ending in G and realise that there is a better alternative that ends in H. Hence my G and H are now the right way round in 4d. I should have looked at it closer in the first place.
11 of 21  -   Report This Post

les40

16th January 2011, 12:38
Ah! Nice one Crypto.
I thought I'd made some terrible error, but now I see what you mean. You had 12a) ending in ING instead of ISH.
On reflection, I can see that is a viable anomaly. I will have to look out for these in future.
We can safely say, that was a good piece of constructive criticism. I like it. Hope you enjoyed it. Have you seen the other one I left for you. It's under the post 'Crossword for Crypto etc'. Thanks pal. Les
12 of 21  -   Report This Post

crypto

16th January 2011, 12:53
Hi Les - I don't think 12a was an anomaly on your part, I think the onus is on the solver to sort it out and the answer to 4d provided me with the opportunity to challenge what I had put, I just didn't see it straight away.

I have seen your other puzzle and in fact have just finished it. I liked the clue to 9a. The theme was a good one for me and in fact I got 4d as my first answer and the linked ones I got reasonably quickly. I've just remembered that you said you called it 'red herring' and asked the question why? I can't immediately think of a reason unless it is that the linked clues aren't as directly linked to 4d as you might think when you get the answers.

Cheers for the crossword - I'll have to get back to doing the ones I normally do!
13 of 21  -   Report This Post

les40

17th January 2011, 22:39
Cheers
14 of 21  -   Report This Post

wendy

18th January 2011, 08:11
Hi Les 40,
I posted this question on another similar thread yesterday but can't find it now!! I enjoyed your first crossword - thank you - but cannot quite see 3 down. I have the answer as "ennui" (as in boredom) but can see the first part of the clue.

I apologise for bothering you - there are so many threads I find it difficult to find my way around.

Thanks
Wendy
15 of 21  -   Report This Post

crypto

18th January 2011, 09:08
Hi Wendy - I don't think Les will mind me answering you question.

Ennui sounds like 'on wii' (i.e. games console).
16 of 21  -   Report This Post

crypto

18th January 2011, 09:10
Sorry, just spotted that it's been answered on another thread.
17 of 21  -   Report This Post

wendy

18th January 2011, 10:13
Hi Crypto,

Makes sense now - but shows my age as I never gave a thought to the wii game!! Now that I've plucked up the courage, can you help with 12a which I had as "peckish" but don't see that as meaning "narky". Could it be "pickish" although I can't find the word in Chambers...?
18 of 21  -   Report This Post

crypto

18th January 2011, 12:01
Hi Wendy

Just did a quick google and got the following back for peckish (which is what I had):

peck·ish (pksh)
adj.
1. Ill-tempered; irritable.
2. Chiefly British Somewhat hungry.

If Les revisits the thread he may cast more light on it - I think he has said that he uses Chambers as his source (perhaps he has a later edition than yours?).
19 of 21  -   Report This Post

les40

18th January 2011, 20:51
Yes Crypto, it does give both in the Chambers 2009 print. Peckish, somewhat hungry / Irritable.
20 of 21  -   Report This Post