CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

gwyn

21st December 2010, 18:49
It is mikey4444 and turast who should be saying sorry. To all the users of this site for their unbelievable arrogance and stupidity.
11 of 15  -   Report This Post

turast

22nd December 2010, 02:49
Mystified and shocked. In this thread accused of "arrogance" and "stupidity" by gwyn. Called "dumb" by terry elswhere on the site under another Guardian thread. Are these people serious? I really am at a loss as to what I've posted that could have made these individuals so angry. I'm hoping that they are simply rogue contributors, looking for a scrap. If I've offended any serious crossword solvers out there, I do apologise, because this was not my intention.
12 of 15  -   Report This Post

terry

22nd December 2010, 11:54
Turast,
You're right,you just don't get it do you.
The only people who ever criticise Auracaria(whoever) on this site are the very people who do his crossword. They are fans of his but occasionally they object to some particularly obscure answer. Your response to this is to instantly condemn them as morons who don't appreciate the god like nature of Auracaria. Don't you think this is ever so slightly over the top,not to say stupid.
13 of 15  -   Report This Post

turast

23rd December 2010, 03:12
Terry, (& Trevor, Gwyn, Ruth)
I do not accept your inflammatory interpretation of the opinions I've been attempting to express. I have not called anybody a "moron", nor have I described Araucaria as "god-like". I certainly would never use terms such as "dumb" or "arrogant" to describe my fellow contributors. John Graham has been a publishing about 6 crosswords per month as Araucaria in the Guardian and as Cinephile in the FT, since 1958. He got an OBE for servioes to the newspaper industry in 2005. He is credited with being the inventor of the "alphabetical jigsaw" style of crossword, which was a prominent feature of the Spectator Christmas crossword this year. In a recent BBC4 documentary about cryptics he was "mentioned in despatches" by several of his peers. His place in a putative compilers's Hall of Fame (a term I've chosen in order not to excite folks even further) is, IMHO, beyond question. I simply do not understand why people who are attempting to solve his puzzles would want to criticise the quality of clues in them or , for that matter, in other puzzles, because they have been puzzling, obscure, convoluted, difficult, esoteric, abstruse or complicated. Those are the clues which are the most satisfying to solve. I also don't like it when "solvers" obtain answers on line and then rubbish the clue. That's all I was trying to say. You, and some other contibutors have taken exception to this, and, I gather, to the style in which I've tried to say it. I'm sorry if my views have upset you, and I admire your democratic fervour, but they remain my views. "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it", as Voltaire aparently didn't actually say. But, don't twist my words and use inappropriate and untrue ad hominem adjectives because you have taken a dislike to what I've posted. I hope I will be able to make contibutions to this site in future without being "flamed" by co-contributors.
14 of 15  -   Report This Post

paul

23rd December 2010, 03:50
My father got me into Araucaria many years ago and I have enjoyed solving his worthy efforts ever since so, Turast, let's hope this crossword goliath keeps on trucking for some time, octogenian though I think he is! I like all xword
puzzles to some extent, but the harder the better!
15 of 15  -   Report This Post