CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

tony

23rd November 2010, 10:00
Can any EV'er please confirm that the 'common'
cells should be blacked out prior to submitting
your entry?
The words made up from the 'extra letters' seem to indicate this.

A most enjoyable crossword but a conceit that was used quite recently in another puzzle.

1 of 17  -   Report This Post

laura

23rd November 2010, 16:40
Hi tony. You've progressed further than myself again! I haven't picked up on what I should be doing to some of the clues yet. I'm making slow progress with the grid, and I can see that some of the answers are longer than the cell allowance. I shall plod on, but any advice as always would be gratefully recieved.
Many thanks.
Laura
2 of 17  -   Report This Post

tony

23rd November 2010, 17:27
Hi Laura
Not many of us wrestle with EV it seems!
As you say some clues have to be adjusted (shortened) to fit into the grid. The adjustment is at the point where the clue crosses with another.
As an example I'll start at 'home'.
4d is an anagram (less D) and the 4 letters which would have to be squeezed into the 5th cell must be removed. If you add those 4 letters to the 2 removed from the start of 18a it will give you one of the items in the Title.

Hope that is clear, otherwise come back.
3 of 17  -   Report This Post

peter.d

23rd November 2010, 19:25
I'm surprised how few people tackle EV. Wasn't there one a while back where no correct entries were received? In this one I have six elements in the title. Are there more? I am struggling to find 16 down and 19 down and suspect in both cases that the answers have more letters than spaces available for them in the grid. All help gratefully received!!!
4 of 17  -   Report This Post

anniec

23rd November 2010, 19:40
Thank you Tony! I had got the principle of the puzzle (though not all the answers!) and your explanation makes it all much clearer. I think you are right re the blacking out - otherwise the instruction to "block capitals" doesn't make much sense. Thanks again
5 of 17  -   Report This Post

tony

23rd November 2010, 20:49
Hi peter.d

I agree about the few people who tackle EV - they don't know what they are missing.
Re16d If you take the first letters, add them to the 4th letter in 15a (a rare Scots name)you will get a 4 letter capital.

There are 10 in all in the puzzle.

Good luck.
6 of 17  -   Report This Post

peter.d

23rd November 2010, 22:05
Thanks Tony. I'll have another go at it tomorrow.Too much agonising for one day!
7 of 17  -   Report This Post

tony

23rd November 2010, 22:32
peter.d

I should have said take the first THREE letters from 16d.
8 of 17  -   Report This Post

newboy

25th November 2010, 08:39
I am stuck on 33A.
Is the start of the answer 'part capital'?
Any help will be much appreciated.
9 of 17  -   Report This Post

tony

25th November 2010, 09:20
33a Withdraw 2nd, third & fourth letters to make 4 letter capital with 31d
10 of 17  -   Report This Post
Home » Forum » EV 942