CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

ixion

7th November 2010, 21:42
Special instructions: Half the across and half the down clues lead in their definitions to Spoonerisms of the correct answers to be entered. Subsidiary indications in these clues lead to the correct answers themselves. In the remaining clues (except 4) the definitions have been distorted by one Spoonerism per clue. Subsidiary indications in these clues likewise lead to the correct answers. Competitors should submit with their solutions a clue of the latter type to replace the asterisked definition at 4, whose unchecked letter is A. NB Spoonerisms may be either consonantal (e.g. WHITEBAIT/BITE WAIT (or WEIGHT)) or vocalic (e.g. BUNTING/BIN TONGUE), and may be accompanied by changes of punctuation. Bracketed numbers after clues indicate the length of grid entries throughout. The Chambers Dictionary (2008) is recommended, but does not give the proper name forming the entry at 17.
1 of 10  -   Report This Post

ixion

7th November 2010, 21:47
21 Arrange stage curtain mechanically to align woman in Shakespeare (7)

?RI?TAB

I think this is of the first type in the instructions - looks like it might be TRIPMAB becoming PRIMTAB - can't find this as a word though(I'm currently Chambersless)
2 of 10  -   Report This Post

dave

7th November 2010, 22:10
could be trimtab
3 of 10  -   Report This Post

ixion

7th November 2010, 22:17
Thanks Dave - saw that and rejected it - but now see that Tib is woman so tramtib - trimtab looks good
4 of 10  -   Report This Post

annie

8th November 2010, 07:41
If you're "currently Chamberless" why not use their website to check words out?
5 of 10  -   Report This Post

peterm

8th November 2010, 17:11
Any idea about 10ac? The answer's po?o. Can't work out the wordplay for the final letter.
6 of 10  -   Report This Post

ixion

8th November 2010, 18:32
trim - mow
humourless - po
7 of 10  -   Report This Post

peterm

8th November 2010, 19:04
Thanks. It's not in my Chambers. The last one - 8dn. Answer: em?a. Again, can't work out the wordplay for missing letter.
8 of 10  -   Report This Post

ixion

8th November 2010, 19:08
net a lame - letter name

The maremma is a breed of livestock guardian dog that originated in central Italy nearly two thousand years ago.
9 of 10  -   Report This Post

peterm

8th November 2010, 19:13
A new one on me. Thanks.
10 of 10  -   Report This Post