CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

campanilla

16th April 2009, 20:25
Sorry JaimeBe, typing too fast. Should have put PORtion of bread raises the standing of bellRINGERS, eh voila!! 10 letters. I do think that her explanation is the correct one as porringers in the Chambers is a Shakespearean cap and it also complies with the "two extremes" which as you very well know is what I had trouble with with all the other answers. (although I think my sideboards would have worked if the answer hadn't referred to clue No. 2.) Any ideas on No. 19 so we can all put this one to bed?????
27 of 45  -   Report This Post

jimb

16th April 2009, 22:11
Campanilla

Just a final few words as to my continuing doubts about 94.

1. If PORRINGERS is correct then the number of letters in the clue is wrong.

2. If PORRINGER (singular)is correct then the wording of the clue is wrong as it refers to items of headgear which is plural

3. You suggest that the clincher is the reference to extreems in clue 2? Well I'm not convinced by this. The reference is to "two" extreems; normally references to other clues would be by using the numeral i.e. 2

Anyway, clue 19, so far, like a number of other contributors, I have a number of words that, at best, can only be described as "straw clutching such as

Best friend who is CARING

PET who is someone who is close

GIVES

CAR(PET)ING = Protection

As you can see, I'm a long way from my EUREEKA moment. But I will burn even more midnight oil in my endeavours.

Now, let's see now, err, jewelry and clothing, eh? mmmmm..., Oh, sorry, ignore that, errr, see you later. As long as I can remember how to spell
jupiter

28 of 45  -   Report This Post

campanilla

16th April 2009, 22:42
One of us is losing it. Now I want you to sit down in your favourite chair, feet up, head back, my blank......Aah I see you were ahead of me on that one. Comfy are we?

94. Shakesopearean items of headgear come from TWO extremes. (10)

2. POR tion of bread raises the standing of bell RINGERS. Extremes of the phrase makes PORRINGERS with 10 letters.

Now go and ask Mrs. JaimeBe to make you a nice cup of cocoa, early night for you Jimbo! Ping!!, good God I actually heard the penny drop then.

29 of 45  -   Report This Post

jimb

17th April 2009, 22:58
Things are a bit quiet on the Rainbow quiz front at the moment so I will attempt to kickstart things into action again with a rather desperate "straw clutcher"

Way back in my distant memory I seem to recall the use of "tosh" as a term of endearment to a friend as in Hi tosh, how are you?

So, your best friend is your main tosh

So, Main tosh around C (Close) = Macintosh?

30 of 45  -   Report This Post

dougglos

18th April 2009, 10:58
JimB - You have almost got me convinced about your macintosh! Particularly as Chambers shows one of the definitions of "tosh" as "friend". So if you say "main" and "best" are synonymous, that only leaves the "C" in Close. Normally Close is shown as "Clo." in street maps, etc., but one abbreviations website I looked at gives just "C." for Close, so I really think you are on to something!
31 of 45  -   Report This Post

lizzyminto

18th April 2009, 14:37
MD JimB etc. what do you think of Muckender for no 19.

Mucker = friend
end = close

Muckender = napkin
32 of 45  -   Report This Post

lizzyminto

18th April 2009, 14:40
Dear All. quiet like Macintosh. spoilt for choice. from nothing to two I quite like!! any comments. or alternatives.
33 of 45  -   Report This Post

lizzyminto

18th April 2009, 15:53
MD JimB etc. what do you think of Muckender for no 19.

Mucker = friend
end = close

Muckender = napkin
34 of 45  -   Report This Post

jimb

18th April 2009, 16:12
Lizzyminto

The only thing missing is a reference to "best" unless, of course, mucker is, in itself a best friend rather than just friend??
35 of 45  -   Report This Post

mjdc

18th April 2009, 16:20
- Well done Lizzieminto... re. mucker - it is defined in Chambers as "best friend"!
Hip Hip Hooray!!!!
36 of 45  -   Report This Post